How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!

How many UN jobs did you apply to in the past 2 years?

No application yet - still waiting for my dream job to come by
7%
1 or 2
13%
3-5
9%
6-9
11%
10-15
13%
16-25
11%
25-50
9%
51-100
9%
101-150
6%
More than 150
12%

Total votes: 82

atmonarman

Re: How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Post by atmonarman » 06 Apr 2019, 06:53

...he/she had also reach to the final interview, MANY TIMES, but was never selected

cenzo

Post by cenzo » 08 Apr 2019, 15:02

Thank you, atmonarman for your feedback.
Good luck in all of your applications.
If you can, please keep us informed.
It is good to understand the dynamics of the recruitment procedures.

Shabazz The Disciple

Post by Shabazz The Disciple » 23 Apr 2019, 11:21

I have had over 100 applications to date from 2018 to date, I have had over 18 interviews, the best I have ever had was to be put on roster 3, the others were regrets, I am waiting for 3 interview results am doing one tomorrow.
Some you are really qualified but you don't get called for interviews, it can be a really frustrating effort, but you never give up, you keep on trying and you learn where you went wrong. My weakness is how to answer questions in an interview. I am working on it.
I just need someone to help me with the interview bit, that is my main weakness.

anastasia_kouzina

Post by anastasia_kouzina » 24 Apr 2019, 07:54

Preparing my second one :D The application process takes so much time!

It was really curious to read about people applying to 30-80 vacancies monthly. I'm not sure there are even so many job openings in my professional category! You guys are beasts. I hope it will work out for you ;)
"It always seems impossible until it's done"
(c) Nelson Mandela

lena

Post by lena » 11 May 2019, 09:34

anastasia_kouzina wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 07:54

It was really curious to read about people applying to 30-80 vacancies monthly. I'm not sure there are even so many job openings in my professional category! You guys are beasts. I hope it will work out for you ;)
That is exactly what I was thinking. How do you apply for 30+ positions in a month? Do you really have that many skills/studies? How is it possible to fit so many different profiles?

Good luck to all!

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 11 May 2019, 11:12

lena wrote:
11 May 2019, 09:34
anastasia_kouzina wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 07:54

That is exactly what I was thinking. How do you apply for 30+ positions in a month? Do you really have that many skills/studies? How is it possible to fit so many different profiles?

Good luck to all!
Because some positions are really very flexible that you can always adapt your CV to reflect the main responsibilities. Also, some people have experience that cuts across. In addition if you’re using registered platforms, you already have a profile, for each new job you just modify it to suit the vacancy. It’s simple

atmonarman

Post by atmonarman » 14 May 2019, 05:37

Shabazz The Disciple wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 11:21
... I have had over 18 interviews,...
Wow, if you did 18 interviews and still not selected maybe the problem is simply that the system is closed for externals. One UN HR officer told me once that at the intervew stage there are usually only from 6 to 8 candidates. Statistically, after 18 you should have been selected....unless they simply don´t want externals.

I have reach to the interview stage 5 times already, and also still not selected.

lena

Post by lena » 14 May 2019, 13:54

atmonarman wrote:
14 May 2019, 05:37
Shabazz The Disciple wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 11:21
... I have had over 18 interviews,...
Wow, if you did 18 interviews and still not selected maybe the problem is simply that the system is closed for externals. One UN HR officer told me once that at the intervew stage there are usually only from 6 to 8 candidates. Statistically, after 18 you should have been selected....unless they simply don´t want externals.

I have reach to the interview stage 5 times already, and also still not selected.
Hi atmonarman!
I have a question for you. How much time did you have to wait to find out that you were not selected after the interview? and for what position was it?

cenzo

Post by cenzo » 14 May 2019, 15:14

Shabazz,

If you have reached to the point of having 18 interviews, that is great!!!
Most of us do not reach to a single interview ( I have at this point more than 400 applications, a degree, speak a few languages, vast international experience and a wide array of professional experience in 3/4 fields that entitles me to perform various jobs and positions).
Believe me, I did not get one single interview since the last 7 months when I started applying. I still have dozens of applications "under consideration" since the early weeks, but I do believe that in all of them the recruiting process is already closed or finished. It is impossible to have a recruiting process taking so long just to change status. (Hope I did answer to Iena, too).
Maybe you need to review your approach to the interviews, at this stage.
Or you are a bad luck person...like me!!!
Anyway, what I have realized already is that you need to be a marathon runner, not a sprinter. And I am not a quitter!!!

Shabazz The Disciple

Post by Shabazz The Disciple » 15 May 2019, 09:35

Ohh sorry when I said 18 interviews I meant interviews from other agencies such as the World Bank, African Development Bank, the UN and other agencies not just the UN. I just I hate that I feel so unlucky and frustrated in this recruitment process. I really need to work on my interviewing skills, either that, or they have someone internally in mind, which means I really need to network. Something I am doing is not write.