How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!

How many UN jobs did you apply to in the past 2 years?

No application yet - still waiting for my dream job to come by
6
7%
1 or 2
11
13%
3-5
7
9%
6-9
9
11%
10-15
11
13%
16-25
9
11%
25-50
7
9%
51-100
7
9%
101-150
5
6%
More than 150
10
12%
 
Total votes: 82

cherrygirl
Posts: 27
Joined: 13 Feb 2019, 13:40
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Post by cherrygirl » 18 May 2019, 02:02

Shabazz The Disciple wrote:
15 May 2019, 09:35
Ohh sorry when I said 18 interviews I meant interviews from other agencies such as the World Bank, African Development Bank, the UN and other agencies not just the UN. I just I hate that I feel so unlucky and frustrated in this recruitment process. I really need to work on my interviewing skills, either that, or they have someone internally in mind, which means I really need to network. Something I am doing is not write.
Hi, I understand your frustration pretty well.
I've done the test/interviews with more than 10 organisations (still far from what you've done) and I got one in the end. But I have to keep applying as my current contract pays low but gives way more responsibilities that before.......It is so difficult. But cheer up. My friends who are in the system told me applying for the UN jobs is like a habit as nothing is permanent in this UN system....

Shabazz The Disciple
Posts: 8
Joined: 23 Apr 2019, 09:53
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Post by Shabazz The Disciple » 20 May 2019, 14:08

Thanks Cherrygirl (Nice Name :)

It is really frustrating, but I have been thinking rather than going through all these frustrations, maybe the universe is trying to tell me something, maybe my skills will be useful somewhere else or I should not just give up the UN applications all together, learning now on what you said that NOTHING in the UN is permanent, is that what I really want? Why am I having all these negative feelings about these applications? Even being inside the UN doesn't mean that your job maybe challenging or secure or satisfying. Its more about luck more than anything else.
The Almighty gave each and everyone of us a natural gift of earning a living, maybe I should focus my time on in identifying what that skill is.

Papa
Posts: 32
Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 20:54
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Post by Papa » 21 May 2019, 10:12

Hey team, since Jan 2018 I applied for more than 150 vacancies, then I was shortlisted for a position I did the interview and got the job with UN. This is my 5th Month with UN. What I beginning to see, position in P4 and above its a challenge for an external person to get. Most internal staff usually have the required skills, education and right connection. Two colleagues in the office, one has two masters degree(LLM Law and MA Political science), and has worked in four continents in matters to do with elections, he is P4. Another in P5 position has a masters and has worked in more than 15 missions with UN in all the continents. What are the chances of an external candidate when competing with the two for a D1 or D2 position?
Internal staff are exposed to many short courses/online courses. I come to realize the reason I got the position is that I came from a unique country. They needed a guy mostly from my part of the continent. I have a BA, MA degrees and a post grad diploma in business admn, and over 10 years experience. The reason the interviews takes long is; availability of funds, availability of the hiring managers, most of staff break after every four of eight months depending on the location of the position.
My advice is apply for field positions, national positions, UNV,G positions and P position up to P4, without stopping one day you might get lucky. Good luck.

cenzo
Posts: 22
Joined: 08 Jan 2019, 16:12
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Post by cenzo » 21 May 2019, 15:10

Very helpful, all this information. Thank you Papa, for your post.
In my modest opinion, most of the posted jobs should never be posted as prior than this procedure, there should be a internal recruitment process.
I am saying this because in fact and in reality, these jobs are never occupied by outsiders.
Wrong. Very wrong. This procedure creates expectations on applicants when in reality, these jobs do not "exist" for them. Someone inside UN said earlier that most of the jobs posted are not for outside people and I am really starting to believe that it is true. Very disappointing.

dindulkar
Posts: 1
Joined: 16 May 2019, 16:52
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Post by dindulkar » 22 May 2019, 10:11

I have applied 36 jobs in the last 2 years.
Still not shortlisted.
Trying to keep improving.

BigData
Posts: 2
Joined: 25 Apr 2019, 15:31
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Post by BigData » 22 May 2019, 14:57

cenzo wrote:
21 May 2019, 15:10
Very helpful, all this information. Thank you Papa, for your post.
In my modest opinion, most of the posted jobs should never be posted as prior than this procedure, there should be a internal recruitment process.
I am saying this because in fact and in reality, these jobs are never occupied by outsiders.
Wrong. Very wrong. This procedure creates expectations on applicants when in reality, these jobs do not "exist" for them. Someone inside UN said earlier that most of the jobs posted are not for outside people and I am really starting to believe that it is true. Very disappointing.
The decision to advertise every job posted in the UN Secretariat was made by the UN General Assembly for purposes of transparency. Going back to the late 2000s, there was a different system in place where vacancies had the following disclaimer:

"All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement. Because applications submitted by United Nations (UN) staff members are considered first, provided the eligibility requirements set out in ST/AI/2006/3 are met and the application is submitted in a timely fashion, staff members should apply within 15-day or 30-day mark."

The job posting was only made "public" following a 30-day period if no suitable internal candidates had applied.

H.O.P
Posts: 124
Joined: 21 Sep 2018, 11:51
Has thanked: 51 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Post by H.O.P » 22 May 2019, 15:40

BigData wrote:
22 May 2019, 14:57
cenzo wrote:
21 May 2019, 15:10
Very helpful, all this information. Thank you Papa, for your post.
In my modest opinion, most of the posted jobs should never be posted as prior than this procedure, there should be a internal recruitment process.
I am saying this because in fact and in reality, these jobs are never occupied by outsiders.
Wrong. Very wrong. This procedure creates expectations on applicants when in reality, these jobs do not "exist" for them. Someone inside UN said earlier that most of the jobs posted are not for outside people and I am really starting to believe that it is true. Very disappointing.
The decision to advertise every job posted in the UN Secretariat was made by the UN General Assembly for purposes of transparency. Going back to the late 2000s, there was a different system in place where vacancies had the following disclaimer:

"All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement. Because applications submitted by United Nations (UN) staff members are considered first, provided the eligibility requirements set out in ST/AI/2006/3 are met and the application is submitted in a timely fashion, staff members should apply within 15-day or 30-day mark."

The job posting was only made "public" following a 30-day period if no suitable internal candidates had applied.
This is new information to me. Thanks.

Turquoise04
Posts: 5
Joined: 18 Apr 2019, 09:53
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Post by Turquoise04 » 28 May 2019, 06:45

Papa wrote:
21 May 2019, 10:12
Hey team, since Jan 2018 I applied for more than 150 vacancies, then I was shortlisted for a position I did the interview and got the job with UN. This is my 5th Month with UN. What I beginning to see, position in P4 and above its a challenge for an external person to get. Most internal staff usually have the required skills, education and right connection. Two colleagues in the office, one has two masters degree(LLM Law and MA Political science), and has worked in four continents in matters to do with elections, he is P4. Another in P5 position has a masters and has worked in more than 15 missions with UN in all the continents. What are the chances of an external candidate when competing with the two for a D1 or D2 position?
Internal staff are exposed to many short courses/online courses. I come to realize the reason I got the position is that I came from a unique country. They needed a guy mostly from my part of the continent. I have a BA, MA degrees and a post grad diploma in business admn, and over 10 years experience. The reason the interviews takes long is; availability of funds, availability of the hiring managers, most of staff break after every four of eight months depending on the location of the position.
My advice is apply for field positions, national positions, UNV,G positions and P position up to P4, without stopping one day you might get lucky. Good luck.
That is great Papa! I for one come from a side of the world that is probably over-represented in the UN. I do agree that UN staff have a lot more experience compared to the minimum requirements of the role. So it is not enough that you meet the minimum requirements. I am currently contemplating if I should apply for a P2 role (I have 11 years of experience of which 8 years are directly relevant to the roles I am applying for -- at the P3 level). This statement from you is encouraging me to maybe apply a notch lower since competition is very high.

cenzo
Posts: 22
Joined: 08 Jan 2019, 16:12
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Post by cenzo » 30 May 2019, 15:27

Well...either I am competing with superhuman beings, or I got the horn effect on HR UN recruiters due to my cover letter and/or competences and skills.
Hundreds of applications since December... and nothing!!

atmonarman
Posts: 24
Joined: 02 Oct 2018, 11:22
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Post by atmonarman » 29 Jun 2019, 10:20

Papa wrote:
21 May 2019, 10:12
Hey team, since Jan 2018 I applied for more than 150 vacancies, then I was shortlisted for a position I did the interview and got the job with UN. This is my 5th Month with UN. What I beginning to see, position in P4 and above its a challenge for an external person to get. Most internal staff usually have the required skills, education and right connection. Two colleagues in the office, one has two masters degree(LLM Law and MA Political science), and has worked in four continents in matters to do with elections, he is P4. Another in P5 position has a masters and has worked in more than 15 missions with UN in all the continents. What are the chances of an external candidate when competing with the two for a D1 or D2 position?
Internal staff are exposed to many short courses/online courses. I come to realize the reason I got the position is that I came from a unique country. They needed a guy mostly from my part of the continent. I have a BA, MA degrees and a post grad diploma in business admn, and over 10 years experience. The reason the interviews takes long is; availability of funds, availability of the hiring managers, most of staff break after every four of eight months depending on the location of the position.
My advice is apply for field positions, national positions, UNV,G positions and P position up to P4, without stopping one day you might get lucky. Good luck.
Very good advice! Thank you!

Post Reply