How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!

How many UN jobs did you apply to in the past 2 years?

No application yet - still waiting for my dream job to come by
6%
1 or 2
17%
3-5
6%
6-9
12%
10-15
11%
16-25
9%
25-50
15%
51-100
6%
101-150
6%
More than 150
11%

Total votes: 108

atmonarman

Re: How many applications did you file to UN jobs?

Post by atmonarman » 29 Jun 2019, 10:23

BigData wrote:
22 May 2019, 14:57
cenzo wrote:
21 May 2019, 15:10
Very helpful, all this information. Thank you Papa, for your post.
In my modest opinion, most of the posted jobs should never be posted as prior than this procedure, there should be a internal recruitment process.
I am saying this because in fact and in reality, these jobs are never occupied by outsiders.
Wrong. Very wrong. This procedure creates expectations on applicants when in reality, these jobs do not "exist" for them. Someone inside UN said earlier that most of the jobs posted are not for outside people and I am really starting to believe that it is true. Very disappointing.
The decision to advertise every job posted in the UN Secretariat was made by the UN General Assembly for purposes of transparency. Going back to the late 2000s, there was a different system in place where vacancies had the following disclaimer:

"All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online as soon as possible after the vacancy has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement. Because applications submitted by United Nations (UN) staff members are considered first, provided the eligibility requirements set out in ST/AI/2006/3 are met and the application is submitted in a timely fashion, staff members should apply within 15-day or 30-day mark."

The job posting was only made "public" following a 30-day period if no suitable internal candidates had applied.
Very relevant information, in line with what I suspected, after 300 applications in 1.5 years, and 11 shortlistings

atmonarman

Post by atmonarman » 29 Jun 2019, 10:32

lena wrote:
14 May 2019, 13:54
atmonarman wrote:
14 May 2019, 05:37
Shabazz The Disciple wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 11:21
... I have had over 18 interviews,...
Wow, if you did 18 interviews and still not selected maybe the problem is simply that the system is closed for externals. One UN HR officer told me once that at the intervew stage there are usually only from 6 to 8 candidates. Statistically, after 18 you should have been selected....unless they simply don´t want externals.

I have reach to the interview stage 5 times already, and also still not selected.
Hi atmonarman!
I have a question for you. How much time did you have to wait to find out that you were not selected after the interview? and for what position was it?
It was about a month for UN Agencies and 2.5 months at a P4 UN position.

jane27

Post by jane27 » 17 Aug 2019, 20:38

Hi, everyone! I'm just browsing through this thread and read a lot of frustrations, which I imagine mostly from external candidates. I'm not from the HR, but I have years of experience in recruitment processes, reviewed like hundreds of PHPs and sat in many interview panels for national, UNV, and international positions. If you have any specific questions, maybe I could be of help. :)

karen Paul

Post by karen Paul » 18 Aug 2019, 16:03

Hello Jane,thanks for opting to answer our questions.
My first question is why is the recruitment process so long.At times you hear from.HR after like say 4 months at times 6 months and you do the interview and wait for another 3months.Cant the wait be shortened?
Thanks

jane27

Post by jane27 » 19 Aug 2019, 20:43

karen Paul wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 16:03
Hello Jane,thanks for opting to answer our questions.
My first question is why is the recruitment process so long.At times you hear from.HR after like say 4 months at times 6 months and you do the interview and wait for another 3months.Cant the wait be shortened?
Thanks
Hi! The recruitment process has a lot of stages internally before it goes to the job offer. It actually varies depending on the:

1) type of contract and post level - recruitment processes and timelines for Professional staff are different from that of the UNV, GS, and consultant
2) organization you're applying for - I can't say for others, but for the UN Secretariat/peacekeeping missions, it depends if the vacancy is "Recruit from Roster", "Post Specific Job Opening", "Temporary Job Opening", or recruitment for rostering. Setting up of assessment tests also differ, whether it's in the duty station/mission or at HQ. For some vacancies, it goes straight to interviews. Then results could go all the way up to UNHQ/New York.
3) duty station - depends on R&R cycles and leaves, especially of interview panel members
4) budget - either there's downsizing of the organization/mission in a particular country, or the donor withdraws funding (I've seen that), or UN Member States slash the annual budget submission... sometimes the vacancy is cancelled, or waiting for confirmation that it'll get funded

In case of recruitment in peacekeeping missions, it depends on how long it takes to review PHPs (yes, one by one), make the assessment test and announce it, then the date of assessment, then grading, then setting up of interview schedules with all candidates who passed, set the interview panel members' availability (also depends on leave/R&R cycles), interview reports, another wave of processes with HR...

(maybe you're already tired and bored just by reading this!)

So as most people have already been saying - patience, patience, patience. For me, just simply APPLY! Don't overthink. But make sure your profile is customized to suit the post (not a generic application and for every post level you see). Practice your answers before the interview. And never give up on your dream job.

Because it will all be worth it when the right time comes that you receive and sign the job offer. :)

Andre

Post by Andre » 20 Aug 2019, 23:51

Hello, about this topic I think I made fifty applications and was selected for two multiple choices tests. I just made another test today. I describe my experience below:

I just finished one multiple choice test of the UN. Some questions were easy, but the test itself was hard considering the time of 30 minutes for 30 questions, including some questions that demanded calculations.

The theme was finance, a very broad one. In view of it, I felt a little bit lost because I didnt know exactly what to study regarding this theme, considering the very short time of one week before the test.

Thereby, maybe UN could specify the topic of the tests for the candidates, in view of even been an expert, it is impossible to know everything about any aspect of the finance theme, for example. Or maybe not, it can also be a reasonable strategy.

This is the second time that I make an UN multiple choice test. But this time I didnt see any absurd question. The questions were well done overall. It was different of a previous multiple choice test that I did where the questions were total nonsense.

What are your experiences in this kind of test?

Thanks

westover

Post by westover » 22 Aug 2019, 14:28

Hi all,

I just applied for the first time to the UN this summer.

I made it to the final interview and now waiting for them to get back to me. Honestly difficult to do anything else.

My question is, is applying to the UN in the P level a matter of number, meaning that the more you do it, the bigger your chance is?

Or is it a matter of being strategic, that is applying for only for positions that you somewhat tick most of the boxes?

Grateful for any feedbacks!

giselle2175

Post by giselle2175 » 23 Aug 2019, 20:18

Andre wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 23:51
Hello, about this topic I think I made fifty applications and was selected for two multiple choices tests. I just made another test today. I describe my experience below:

I just finished one multiple choice test of the UN. Some questions were easy, but the test itself was hard considering the time of 30 minutes for 30 questions, including some questions that demanded calculations.

The theme was finance, a very broad one. In view of it, I felt a little bit lost because I didnt know exactly what to study regarding this theme, considering the very short time of one week before the test.

Thereby, maybe UN could specify the topic of the tests for the candidates, in view of even been an expert, it is impossible to know everything about any aspect of the finance theme, for example. Or maybe not, it can also be a reasonable strategy.

This is the second time that I make an UN multiple choice test. But this time I didnt see any absurd question. The questions were well done overall. It was different of a previous multiple choice test that I did where the questions were total nonsense.

What are your experiences in this kind of test?

Thanks
I was selected for 2 P level tests. I took the first in may and consisted in of 30 questions to be completed in 30 minutes. I was contacted a week prior to taking the test by advising to go ver the job descriptions. I took the second test in mid June and there were 28 questions. The first 24 questions were multiple choice to be completed in 20 minutes and the last 4 questions were essays to be completed in 50 minutes or so. The essays were very difficult since you have to think a lot with the little time you've been given. Anyway, I have yet to hear from them.

Andre

Post by Andre » 24 Aug 2019, 18:27

For my second test I asked the UN and received the information that it would be about general knowledge in finance. Because of that i didnt know if I should study something more specifically or not. In view of this uncertanty I just read some rules of UN about this theme and finance principles, expecting that it would be demanded.

But the test was all about general contability. It is a matter that I know well, but since I dont use it so frequently, most of the questions I couldnt remeber very well.

So, the answer of the UN about this test confused me more than clarified me. Maybe in the next time it will be better dont ask for clarifications to the UN anyway.

johne

Post by johne » 29 Aug 2019, 16:42

I have been checking for new jobs every single day and i apply to 5-10 jobs per week, average of 30 to 40 per month for INGO's(not just UN) for the last 3 years.

My results:
1. One time got to the interview stage and reference checks.
2. 4-6 times got long listed for P2 jobs.
3. One interview for G6 job (not reference checks).
4. Two tests for G5 jobs (no success)
5. Two times long-listed for UNV positions.