UN Job List - Frequently asked question

Things to know before you start applying to jobs in the United Nations. Also, other tips and tricks, common pitfalls and place to discuss employment scams.
Sebastian

UN Job List - Frequently asked question

Post by Sebastian » 04 Nov 2018, 08:01

I will list a few things here that help using the UN Job List better.

First: There is a whole list of posts dedicated to this topic over in the "how it works" section on the UN Job List.

I will add different posts for different topics over the coming days.
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Sebastian

What is it with the dates on the job postings?

Post by Sebastian » 04 Nov 2018, 19:33

Alright first up: I got the question yesterday on "expired" vacancies that still show up on the UN Job List. When I created my list of UN Jobs, my view of the world was simple (naive you might argue): I wanted to crawl meta data of jobs, link to these jobs and provide a search engine for the meta data. Simple, right?

Well, that was until I discovered, how many job adverts change all the time: Often closing dates are extended (also see the discussion on this board here), sometimes the TOR is changed and at times jobs are even pulled before their closing date. So I had to decide what to do: I could either leave job data the way it was when my system first saw the job or I could keep changing the job meta data. I decided to leave my database untouched. So it can happen you find a job with a closing date already in the past on the UN Job List - typically that means that there was an extension and that there is a new closing date.

As always: the information you see on the vacancy page of the issuing organisation is what counts in the end - so if you see something funny on my list, check with the original on the UN Organisation's website.

Good luck job hunting! - Sebastian
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.