UNOPS VA Closing Date Extension

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
NevKen

UNOPS VA Closing Date Extension

Post by NevKen » 04 Nov 2018, 12:45

I have often noticed that UNOPS frequently extends the vacancy closing date. Regardless of the due cause (not enough applications) it sounds highly suspicious in many ways. Otherwise it constitutes to inadequate planning on behalf of hiring managers while determining the closing date at first place. I never have noticed such thing in last many years happening with other UN Organizations.

In last twelve months, I can point out three of such cases where I have expressed my interest (strongly very high merit application). However, all those application are not even longlisted in comparison to low merit application that reach easily to longlisting). Since I experienced this a few times and strongly suspect the activity as 'wrong-doing', I felt I should voice the issue here for UN Hiring Managers and or Administrative teams dealing with the applications for Hiring Managers.

Let me highlight few reason that comes to my mind:
Date extended due to the number of applications received were too small - it's laughable (lack of unemployed people in this world)
Date extended due to the number of applications received were lacking gender balance - it's funny (gender comes first merit later)
Date extended due to the number of applications received were all below merit (simply unbelievable)

If I doubt what I stated above, that's mean I am doubting 'Rest of UN Organizations HR System over UNOPS HR' practices.

Kindly do not take this as a cry based on (expectations, emotions, hopes, disappointments etc, I am simply talking facts here)

I would welcome to hear you all.

Pete

Re: UNOPS VA Closing Date Extension

Post by Pete » 04 Nov 2018, 15:44

NevKen wrote:
04 Nov 2018, 12:45
I have often noticed that UNOPS frequently extends the vacancy closing date....I would welcome to hear you all.
Is that only UNOPS? I saw UNDP do that also!

Me, personaly, I'm not certain what is worse: extension of closing date or readvertisement - I see a lot of jobs being reposted right now:

https://unjoblist.org/results.php?kw=ad ... Job=Search

(not sure if ok to post a link here?)

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 05 Nov 2018, 19:19

NevKen wrote:
I have often noticed that UNOPS frequently extends the vacancy closing date. Regardless of the due cause (not enough applications) it sounds highly suspicious in many ways. Otherwise it constitutes to inadequate planning on behalf of hiring managers while determining the closing date at first place. I never have noticed such thing in last many years happening with other UN Organizations.

In last twelve months, I can point out three of such cases where I have expressed my interest (strongly very high merit application). However, all those application are not even longlisted in comparison to low merit application that reach easily to longlisting). Since I experienced this a few times and strongly suspect the activity as 'wrong-doing', I felt I should voice the issue here for UN Hiring Managers and or Administrative teams dealing with the applications for Hiring Managers.

Date extended due to the number of applications received were too small - it's laughable (lack of unemployed people in this world)
Date extended due to the number of applications received were lacking gender balance - it's funny (gender comes first merit later)
Date extended due to the number of applications received were all below merit (simply unbelievable)

If I doubt what I stated above, that's mean I am doubting 'Rest of UN Organizations HR System over UNOPS HR' practices.

Kindly do not take this as a cry based on (expectations, emotions, hopes, disappointments etc, I am simply talking facts here)

Hi NevKen!

hope all is well otherwise? I'm happy to try to provide some additional background here - but keep in mind that even though I do know UNOPS quite well, I obviously can't speak for the organisation in this forum... Alright, with this out of the way:

I do think your observation about extension is valid - it is something that has gone up. Part of the reason is that UNOPS really wants to make sure the right mix of skills & expertise is in the pool of applicants before a long-list / short-list is created. The point being that encouragement / special outreach to diversify the pool of applicants is very important to get many people to apply. Once the actual screening process starts the process gets pretty mechanistic/rigorous (at least that's my experience). What I would do in case you find another example where you have questions about the process is to write to jobs [at] UNOPS.org - that mailbox is monitored and typically you will receive a reply.

But let's keep this discussion going here - in fact, if you happen to see a job where this happens - if you applied or not - feel free to post the link here and we can see what's going on...
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Alphonse

Post by Alphonse » 05 Nov 2018, 19:43

I am still new in this forum, i therefore do not understand the whole criteria

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 05 Nov 2018, 19:46

Alphonse wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 19:43
I am still new in this forum, i therefore do not understand the whole criteria
Hi Alphonse,

welcome to this little community - tell us what your questions are and we will try our best to help out :)
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 05 Nov 2018, 21:46

Sebastian wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 19:19
NevKen wrote:

Hi NevKen!

hope all is well otherwise? I'm happy to try to provide some additional background here - but keep in mind that even though I do know UNOPS quite well, I obviously can't speak for the organisation in this forum... Alright, with this out of the way:

I do think your observation about extension is valid - it is something that has gone up. Part of the reason is that UNOPS really wants to make sure the right mix of skills & expertise is in the pool of applicants before a long-list / short-list is created. The point being that encouragement / special outreach to diversify the pool of applicants is very important to get many people to apply. Once the actual screening process starts the process gets pretty mechanistic/rigorous (at least that's my experience). What I would do in case you find another example where you have questions about the process is to write to jobs [at] UNOPS.org - that mailbox is monitored and typically you will receive a reply.

But let's keep this discussion going here - in fact, if you happen to see a job where this happens - if you applied or not - feel free to post the link here and we can see what's going on...
Thanks Sebastian for affirming everything is alright at UNOPS. Of course life goes on... People knows how to navigate the potholes on the road, just that sometime they stop using the same road when it's left unrepaired for long.

Logically, my observation as a competing candidate at UNOPS is my narrative derived from an incident as I have experienced, therefore I am not looking for any validation. Certainly not from UNOPS when I am talking about 'wrongdoings at UNOPS'. As an individual I cannot stand off the mighty organization like UNOPS specially in-times when UNOPS structure and norms are fast transforming from UN business style into EU business style (I do not want to get into this debate - so the one who know what I am talking, know exactly what it means). Now I am not complaining or comparing the UN business style to EU business styles, I am talking the damages the change brought along, there is an African proverb that reads something like; when two elephants fight, who get hurt is the grass).

I also appreciate UNOPS rigorous evaluation with the so called criteria you mentioned (they are high standards and I respect them), but the point is if the organization is really without flaws then what about date extensions (not to forget we are talking about UN Office for Project Services) specially when UNOPS ''encourages / special outreach to diversify the pool of applicants is very important to get many people to apply'', hence lack of planning, mis calculation of timing (for many people to apply) at first hand does not make sense unless the extension is to cover-up something. I must mention that I shared this information for the sake of information. If I need to complain about the wrongdoing I know where to file a complaint hence adding concerned VAs here would be irrelevant.

Actually I contacted UNOPS with at least ten emails concerning ten different applications over the last two years, they never responded at all. Now ten emails over two year gone unresponded, doesn't make it a technical glitch but an organizational attitude.

Jannu

Post by Jannu » 08 Nov 2018, 08:39

NevKen wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 21:46

Actually I contacted UNOPS with at least ten emails concerning ten different applications over the last two years, they never responded at all. Now ten emails over two year gone unresponded, doesn't make it a technical glitch but an organizational attitude.
This is very worrying. When you think about UN and its agencies first what comes in mind is humanity and kindness but some people have opposite experiences and it is very sad if that is about organizational attitude. Is there SOP for bad customer service?
I think that is their responsibility to answer/reply and there is no excuses if one asking nicely for relevant information that they have.

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 08 Nov 2018, 12:48

Jannu wrote:
08 Nov 2018, 08:39
NevKen wrote:

This is very worrying. When you think about UN and its agencies first what comes in mind is humanity and kindness but some people have opposite experiences and it is very sad if that is about organizational attitude. Is there SOP for bad customer service?
I think that is their responsibility to answer/reply and there is no excuses if one asking nicely for relevant information that they have.
I even got the 'read receipt' for few of the emails I sent but no response, so I am certain there wasn't any techno. Of course it's highly unprofessional for UN-OPS to cover up their abuses under the disguise of UN values. What is worrying .... is beyond the scope of this forum.

ichtus

Post by ichtus » 11 Nov 2018, 20:37

NevKen wrote:
Sebastian wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 19:19
NevKen wrote:

Hi NevKen!

Thanks Sebastian for affirming everything is alright at UNOPS. Of course life goes on... People knows how to navigate the potholes on the road, just that sometime they stop using the same road when it's left unrepaired for long.

Logically, my observation as a competing candidate at UNOPS is my narrative derived from an incident as I have experienced, therefore I am not looking for any validation. Certainly not from UNOPS when I am talking about 'wrongdoings at UNOPS'. As an individual I cannot stand off the mighty organization like UNOPS specially in-times when UNOPS structure and norms are fast transforming from UN business style into EU business style (I do not want to get into this debate - so the one who know what I am talking, know exactly what it means). Now I am not complaining or comparing the UN business style to EU business styles, I am talking the damages the change brought along, there is an African proverb that reads something like; when two elephants fight, who get hurt is the grass).

I also appreciate UNOPS rigorous evaluation with the so called criteria you mentioned (they are high standards and I respect them), but the point is if the organization is really without flaws then what about date extensions (not to forget we are talking about UN Office for Project Services) specially when UNOPS ''encourages / special outreach to diversify the pool of applicants is very important to get many people to apply'', hence lack of planning, mis calculation of timing (for many people to apply) at first hand does not make sense unless the extension is to cover-up something. I must mention that I shared this information for the sake of information. If I need to complain about the wrongdoing I know where to file a complaint hence adding concerned VAs here would be irrelevant.

Hi NevKen, this is a very interesting discussion. Do you mind explaining more on "UNOPS structure and norms are fast transforming from UN business style into EU business style"? I do not intend to debate anything, just being curious of knowing what this exactly means.

I'm in the final stage of a UNOPS P-position recruitment process, and things get a bit complicated at the moment in the ways that I've never thought of. Hence I'm interested in understanding more of the things behind the scenes.

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 12 Nov 2018, 09:40

ichtus wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 20:37
Hi NevKen, this is a very interesting discussion. Do you mind explaining more on "UNOPS structure and norms are fast transforming from UN business style into EU business style"? I do not intend to debate anything, just being curious of knowing what this exactly means.
Indeed. it's interesting even it is not printed on one of many evening paper. As I already mentioned 'I do not want to get into this debate - so the one who know what I am talking, know exactly what it means'. 'What is worrying .... is beyond the scope of this forum'.
ichtus wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 20:37
I'm in the final stage of a UNOPS P-position recruitment process, and things get a bit complicated at the moment in the ways that I've never thought of. Hence I'm interested in understanding more of the things behind the scenes.
Behind the scene things are only known to the responsibles behind the process so I may not have much to say. If you wish to share your complicated things, please do not holdback. You never know, someone might say it's the process that is complicated not your things.