If I am selected for a temporary position, wouldn`t I be able to later apply to fixed ones?

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
atmonarman

If I am selected for a temporary position, wouldn`t I be able to later apply to fixed ones?

Post by atmonarman » 05 Nov 2018, 09:43

Hi all!

This is the first time I read such a thing at a UN vacancy note "• A staff member holding a temporary appointment shall be regarded as an external candidate when applying for other positions, and may apply for other temporary positions at any level, subject to section 5.7 below and staff rule 4.16 (b)" https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=105839

Does this mean that if I am selected for a temporary position I would not be able to apply, during the last months of that contract, to fixed positions, and only to other temporary positions? Does this apply only to this vacancy, or is it the general rule at the UN?

Thank you in advance for your answer!

H.O.P

Re: If I am selected for a temporary position, wouldn`t I be able to later apply to fixed ones?

Post by H.O.P » 05 Nov 2018, 09:56

atmonarman wrote:
05 Nov 2018, 09:43
Hi all!

This is the first time I read such a thing at a UN vacancy note "• A staff member holding a temporary appointment shall be regarded as an external candidate when applying for other positions, and may apply for other temporary positions at any level, subject to section 5.7 below and staff rule 4.16 (b)" https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=105839

Does this mean that if I am selected for a temporary position I would not be able to apply, during the last months of that contract, to fixed positions, and only to other temporary positions? Does this apply only to this vacancy, or is it the general rule at the UN?

Thank you in advance for your answer!
It means that you can apply to any and other applications you want to, but, your applications will be treated as that of other candidates who are applying from outside (external candidates). Also, if you have a temporary G-service category, you can only apply to other G-service categories.

Sebastian

Re: If I am selected for a temporary position, wouldn`t I be able to later apply to fixed ones?

Post by Sebastian » 05 Nov 2018, 18:58

I would agree - H.O.P pretty much outlined the story. I think the true actual difference is in the nuances of the order of retention but how much that matters might be different from situation to situation.
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.