Visa Application by UN

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
mdr

Re: Visa Application by UN

Post by mdr » 05 Jan 2019, 08:47

starryhindsight wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 07:54
Some countries allow visas on arrival and then have an arrangement with the UN from the ground. Some have to process work visas immediately before deployment, I think this would be what affects the length and difficulty of getting visas as well.

And Malaysians are part of ASEAN which makes sense why she didn't require a work visa to enter and work at UN Bangkok.
Yeah, I imagine the ease for my Malaysian friend is because of the proximity (I'm also ASEAN myself) but she did get the work visa (haha we're not like the EU yet), it was just done right away at the embassy in Malaysia before she left. In my case, the visa was supposed arrive before the movers come in to arrange my shipment because that takes between 2-3 weeks.

mdr

Post by mdr » 05 Jan 2019, 11:03

H.O.P wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 18:00
mdr wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 15:35
I just read my private correspondence with H.O.P again and saw that they were issued a visa on arrival as well so I suppose it is not strange after all and every process is different- I have a Malaysian friend who moved to work in UN Bangkok and she was issued a visa stamped into her passport (I was comparing notes with her the whole time). I guess I just feel a little frazzled now as it seems like everything is happening at all once and very quickly.
I think African countries could have this agreement of "Visa on Arrival" with the UN/IGOs. Makes the work easier.
Oh that makes sense! There's not much I can do until Monday comes & I get a more firm answer. Now I'm just scrambling with arranging my things, and meeting loved ones 😂

Thank you, H.O.P and Starryhindsight!

mdr

Post by mdr » 05 Jan 2019, 14:16

mdr wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 11:03
H.O.P wrote:
Btw H.O.P, did you know that it was going to be a visa on arrival? Is that perhaps why you were perplexed at why it took so long? Haha I suppose if I had known, I wouldn't have had to speculate whether I needed to fly out to the nearest Embassy, etc :lol: but I would have been just as curious (and anxious) why it would take that long. According to my copy, it was completed on just after Christmas.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 05 Jan 2019, 16:10

mdr wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 14:16
mdr wrote:
05 Jan 2019, 11:03
H.O.P wrote:
Btw H.O.P, did you know that it was going to be a visa on arrival? Is that perhaps why you were perplexed at why it took so long? Haha I suppose if I had known, I wouldn't have had to speculate whether I needed to fly out to the nearest Embassy, etc :lol: but I would have been just as curious (and anxious) why it would take that long. According to my copy, it was completed on just after Christmas.
Yes, I was told earlier on it was Visa on Arrival. Also, I only sent a copy of my passport. I was also told it should take at most 2 weeks. All these, made me think it would be out ASAP. Alas! it took 2 months plus.

mdr

Post by mdr » 11 Jan 2019, 12:22

Update:

After much stress, worry and back and forth emails, my travel dates have now been pushed forward to a later date on account of the timely shipment of my things which btw, I do very much recognize as a privilege (I've never had professional movers before so I'm blown away by the level of service!). Everybody especially my HRs have been very accommodating if not sometimes anxious for me. I will say it has not been a very straightforward process as there were many people I needed to talk to hence the going back and forth and we all needed to anticipate the unexpected. The visa arriving later than expected wasn't any of our faults after all but having to coordinate things from that point on to make sure things will go accordingly was a juggling act. This is something I needed to understand better as well- trust in the people in charge of the onboarding process. Even though I was just as anxious as they were if not more so, they really tried their best (although I would appreciate if they didn't always email me on a Friday and because of time difference, I have to wait til Monday for a reply whilst stressing out all weekend hahaha).

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 16 Jan 2019, 04:30

I'm in my duty station and we have no residency permits (UNVs can't get them!), so I can't make bank accounts, get residency benefits etc. So just a heads up, the journey doesn't end! Good luck to all of you (:

Papa

Post by Papa » 17 Jan 2019, 10:13

Hey Starryhindsight,
Sorry to hear about that, looks like the application bit was just a small hipcup. Personally I was given a reporting date as I pick my visa to the duty station, in a different country. I made the trip but unfortunately my visa had not yet been approved. Am stuck in my transiting point in the airport since the country has refused me entry as I wait for my Visa. So I can imagine after I jump this huddle, the next challenge of bank account and residency benefits.
Thanks for the heads up!

TheBee2

Post by TheBee2 » 23 Jan 2019, 14:44

All depends on a country to be honest. Plus if there is "no approval" it doesn't mean that there is a "denial". So nothing here left much - just to wait for the official answer. Once I applied for a residence permit in Greece [mod edit: link redacted] and I had to wait till the last day of announced 6 months period ))) So when it comes to visa it is all individual.

wow

Post by wow » 18 Feb 2019, 08:21

starryhindsight wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 04:30
I'm in my duty station and we have no residency permits (UNVs can't get them!), so I can't make bank accounts, get residency benefits etc. So just a heads up, the journey doesn't end! Good luck to all of you (:
Hi starryhindsight. I have a question please: If you cant make bank accounts then how do you receive the allowances? I need to be prepared as I might fall into the same situation as you :lol: .