Likely contract duration

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
atmonarman

Likely contract duration

Post by atmonarman » 25 Nov 2018, 14:57

Hi there!

I am at the final interview stage for a position at UN HQ, and I have the following question:

The vacancy note, like many others, stated: "Special Notice - This position is available for one year. Extension of the appointment is subject to Extension of the mandate and/or the availability of the funds.". The vacancy did not state this to be a temporary position. I understand that in practice these contracts are normally renewed (in let's say over 90% of cases) for at least 5 years (this is the situation for example at EU Agencies).

Could anyone confirm this assumption?

Otherwise I will ask at the end of the interview, but I suspect this may give a negative image to the panel.

Thank you in advance!!

Sebastian

Re: Likely contract duration

Post by Sebastian » 25 Nov 2018, 19:38

atmonarman wrote:
25 Nov 2018, 14:57
Hi there!

I am at the final interview stage for a position at UN HQ, and I have the following question:

The vacancy note, like many others, stated: "Special Notice - This position is available for one year. Extension of the appointment is subject to Extension of the mandate and/or the availability of the funds.". The vacancy did not state this to be a temporary position. I understand that in practice these contracts are normally renewed (in let's say over 90% of cases) for at least 5 years (this is the situation for example at EU Agencies).

Could anyone confirm this assumption?

Otherwise I will ask at the end of the interview, but I suspect this may give a negative image to the panel.

Thank you in advance!!
Firstly, congrats - this is great news! Hope to see you over in the success stories thread in a few weeks ;-)

Yes, unless they tell you the funding is limited, this text just means it is a Fixed Term (i.e. not a Continuous) Appointment. So it should be ok. For now, they probably can't confirm what kinds of resources they have against this project for the next x coming years anyways. If you want to get a sense for how secured the project is, you could ask if this is a "new mandate" and/or how they expect the "mandate to evolve - in particular with regards to its impact on the ground..." then you could follow-up and ask who are the main stakeholders/donors behind this mandate and how they expect the political support around this mandate to develop.

But generally speaking, it just sounds like a standard Fixed-Term appointment. Good luck!
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

atmonarman

Re: Likely contract duration

Post by atmonarman » 26 Nov 2018, 07:41

Thank you very much, Sebastian!!