Interview

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
Amber

Re: Interview

Post by Amber » 22 Dec 2018, 14:46

Thanks MDR.
You seem to be more familiar than me about the process.
All UN agency have a central review board?
Could you tell me more about it?
I was also told that they rate each step. Post interview they check who scored higher and offer is made. Is that how it works?

mdr

Post by mdr » 22 Dec 2018, 15:35

I'm not in the system yet (not until I relocate anyway so I can't say conclusively) so my knowledge is mostly based off of what I read. According to this link, https://www.unjiu.org/sites/www.unjiu.o ... nglish.pdf , a Central Review Body is part of the recruitment process. And yes, as far as I know, all candidates get the same set of questions during the interview and will be scored accordingly then a few of them will be selected to be recommended for review. However, during the Central Review, other criteria will be considered which would affect the final decision for example whether the candidate is a "victim of malicious acts or natural disasters", their gender, representation by nationality, etc.

Here are additional links for more detailed info:
http://www.un.org/hr_handbook/English/s ... ocedur.pdf
https://hr.un.org/sites/hr.un.org/files ... ection.pdf

Amber

Post by Amber » 22 Dec 2018, 18:06

Thanks MDR.
Very helpful!

mdr

Post by mdr » 29 Dec 2018, 13:24

Amber wrote:
22 Dec 2018, 18:06
Thanks MDR.
Very helpful!
You're welcome. I just remembered something else. Is this position local or international? Based on my friend's experience with applying for local positions e.g. G, NO, etc, the process is fairly quick. An interview between 2-4 weeks after closing date of the VA then results within 2 weeks at the latest or at most, a month.

Amber

Post by Amber » 31 Dec 2018, 17:16

Hi Mdr,

No, it is for an international position falling under the professional’category.
My interview was only 3 weeks ago and it feels like it was 3 months ago.
I am hoping to get an answer by the end of the months.
If by then I do t hear anything m, I would assume that they have offered the position to another candidate.

Amber

Post by Amber » 04 Jan 2019, 09:20

Hi Mdr,
Did you get any feedback?

I am
Still waiting for mine. I haven’t heard anything and it has been 3 weeks post interview.

mdr

Post by mdr » 04 Jan 2019, 16:38

Amber wrote:
04 Jan 2019, 09:20
Hi Mdr,
Did you get any feedback?

I am
Still waiting for mine. I haven’t heard anything and it has been 3 weeks post interview.
Hello,

About my relocation? I'll say! Things are picking up now but maybe a little too fast for my comfort. Anyway, 3 weeks is ok still. A month is pretty normal. I got my announcement about 2 months after. Rejections come much later than that if at all but every agency and circumstance is different.

sunnyboldg

Post by sunnyboldg » 19 Jan 2019, 18:14

I also was interviewed and the last interview was to be on 15th of December 2018. It was my competency based interview but till today no intimation of in or out. Sent them a follow-up email on 17th of Jan but no response. Could anyone here shed some light what time HR in NY takes to respond to our follow-up email and any expected timeline for result?

Amber

Post by Amber » 21 Jan 2019, 18:31

Hi Sunnyboldg,

Anyone here who has a bit of experience with UN recruitment procedures will tell you that anything from a month to 3 months is normal.

if that can help you, I was told that nothing usually happens between 21st dec to 2nd Jan.
I had an interview on the 18th of dec and haven’t heard back from them.
I think there is nothing to worry about...
Keep us posted if you hear anything. All the best.

sunnyboldg

Post by sunnyboldg » 22 Jan 2019, 17:11

Thank you Amber. Yes you are right that 2 to 3 months are normal. Yes I am composed and hopeful as well. I floated my query just to be a part of this conversational stream. You guys are so informed really. Thanks again for renewing my dwindling interest. Which position you were interviewed for by the way if you find it safe to share. Well good luck for that.

Regards