G to P position?

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
Soniglova

G to P position?

Post by Soniglova » 31 Jan 2019, 18:08

Hi my comrades who are struggling in patience game to win a UN job!

I would like to ask a quick question : could it be a good strategy to take a G position as an entry to the UN system for later P position application ?

I already heard that doing so you make an invisible glass ceiling to be hired for a P position. Is it true?

I mean, I heard many advices that one needs to get enter the UN system through a UNV, JPO, or Internship.

To tell more about me, I have a very brief UN internship after I finished my master five years ago. Since then I am working as an assistant of diplomats covering research and analysis, partnership and project management in security & int politics-related fields in the embassy. I have a perm contract now, too.

But it seems it’s almost impossible to get into the system w/o proper experience inside so I was thinking about my next move :

1. Go back to UN agency's intern for 6 months

2. Keep trying a UNV position

3. Getting a G position in my home country hoping it helps to network inside and get a P position later

As doing one of the following options, I will continue applying announced vacancies as well as JPO.

Would you please advise me about this move? Heard that getting G position is not really helping to advance to a P position but worsening it, is it true?

NevKen

Re: G to P position?

Post by NevKen » 02 Feb 2019, 23:55

Soniglova wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 18:08
could it be a good strategy to take a G position as an entry to the UN system for later P position application ? I already heard that doing so you make an invisible glass ceiling to be hired for a P position. Is it true? Heard that getting G position is not really helping to advance to a P position but worsening it, is it true?
Research requires facts to create a theory, don't fix the facts to fit the theories you hear.

No matter what you chose to do (meaning you apply for G level or P level ) that is solely your choice, provided you find yourself eligible and your credentials are a match to VA, you are a potential candidate. Obviously it is easy to have lower level job in any organization to learn and grow with it and yes that increases the chances as most multinational organization keeps a record of all personnel recommendations and appraisals during their services to the org. and that is helpful to further the level.

Soniglova

Post by Soniglova » 03 Feb 2019, 10:32

Thank you for your opinion. I got that. I was afraid of being stuck in the glass ceiling that I’ve been already in last four years in a govenmental body. But of course there is never a 100%. Will keep in mind what you said, thanks a lot :)

ichtus

Post by ichtus » 15 Feb 2019, 09:02

While it's true that any UN experience might assist you with further career development in the UN system, it's also true that there are abundant of UN policies prevents people to jump from one category to another. UN Secretariat has the most strict rules. UN agencies and Programmes comparably have more flexibility in practice.
Under the UN Secretariat, G staff are not eligible to apply for fixed-term P positions (except for YPP). UN agencies don't seem to follow this tightly.
Exploring the rules before you make any decision. Otherwise you might get a surprise and find yourself get stuck of nowhere.

Pete

Post by Pete » 17 Feb 2019, 18:37

Soniglova wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 10:32
Thank you for your opinion. I got that. I was afraid of being stuck in the glass ceiling that I’ve been already in last four years in a govenmental body. But of course there is never a 100%. Will keep in mind what you said, thanks a lot :)
I have heard of this, too. I would be careful.

petercowe

Post by petercowe » 22 Mar 2019, 08:59

Soniglova in the UN there is no single route to any destination, I joined the UN as G staff but I moved the country to do so. I had the experience and qualifications for P positions but the qualifications were not recognised. I started a degree distance learning with the Open University, lots of UN staff do this to get the qualifications they need to progress. I managed to get a Field Staff (FS) position and this is another way of progress although with hindsight I would have stayed at FS. Six months after I got my degree HR contacted me about a position I did not apply, I interviewed and got the job.

The G position I took was in Europe, any G post in any European city is an easy post have a look.