UNOPS roster

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
ichtus
Posts: 15
Joined: 11 Nov 2018, 20:27
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 7 times

UNOPS roster

Post by ichtus » 14 Feb 2019, 04:17

Hello everyone,

I have recently passed a recruitment process and have been added to the P3/IICA2 Programme Officer roster in UNOPS. I'd like to get a sense of the size of the roster. That is to say, I'd like to have a rough idea of the possibility of getting a contract and the average waiting time. For now, it looks like I'm receiving vacancy notice every month, but how severe is the competition? Any UNOPS insider could share some insights or experience? Thanks!

User avatar
NevKen
Posts: 159
Joined: 04 Aug 2018, 13:48
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: UNOPS roster

Post by NevKen » 14 Feb 2019, 17:41

ichtus wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 04:17
I have recently passed a recruitment process and have been added to the P3/IICA2 Programme Officer roster in UNOPS.
Lucky You, Congrats! - Can you please be precise about P3/IICA2 - There is a difference between the two, P3 comes with all UN perks but not IICAs (IICA2 salary scale is almost like P3 but not a P3 in reality)
ichtus wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 04:17
I'd like to get a sense of the size of the roster. That is to say, I'd like to have a rough idea of the possibility of getting a contract and the average waiting time. For now, it looks like I'm receiving vacancy notice every month, but how severe is the competition?
In case you applied directly to roster positions then there is not much competition (you are already assessed and ready to board on), You just have to wait for a position to pop (HR candidate roster is to provide fast track HR services to UN organizations where the resource is available on short notice - ready to commence at no time comparing to non-roster positions)
ichtus wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 04:17
Any UNOPS insider could share some insights or experience? Thanks!
I am not the insider, just trying to making sure you don't loose facts. Insiders lips are sealed by the grace of their own contracts.

ichtus
Posts: 15
Joined: 11 Nov 2018, 20:27
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: UNOPS roster

Post by ichtus » 15 Feb 2019, 08:27

NevKen wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 17:41
ichtus wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 04:17
I have recently passed a recruitment process and have been added to the P3/IICA2 Programme Officer roster in UNOPS.
Lucky You, Congrats! - Can you please be precise about P3/IICA2 - There is a difference between the two, P3 comes with all UN perks but not IICAs (IICA2 salary scale is almost like P3 but not a P3 in reality)
ichtus wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 04:17
I'd like to get a sense of the size of the roster. That is to say, I'd like to have a rough idea of the possibility of getting a contract and the average waiting time. For now, it looks like I'm receiving vacancy notice every month, but how severe is the competition?
In case you applied directly to roster positions then there is not much competition (you are already assessed and ready to board on), You just have to wait for a position to pop (HR candidate roster is to provide fast track HR services to UN organizations where the resource is available on short notice - ready to commence at no time comparing to non-roster positions)
ichtus wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 04:17
Any UNOPS insider could share some insights or experience? Thanks!
I am not the insider, just trying to making sure you don't loose facts. Insiders lips are sealed by the grace of their own contracts.

Thanks NevKen.
Yes, it's nice to make it into the roster. The precise category is called ICS-10/IICA-2/P3 Programme Officer. I learnt from a UNOPS staff that this is the case for UNOPS, while ICS-10 indicates the job level, the actual contract might come as IICA2 (international individual contractor's agreement) or P3 (UN fixed-term staff contract).
I'm asking if any UNOPS insiders could share experience because I'd like to evaluate the waiting time for getting a contract. :)

User avatar
NevKen
Posts: 159
Joined: 04 Aug 2018, 13:48
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: UNOPS roster

Post by NevKen » 15 Feb 2019, 09:27

ichtus wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 08:27
The precise category is called ICS-10/IICA-2/P3 Programme Officer. I learnt from a UNOPS staff that this is the case for UNOPS, while ICS-10 indicates the job level, the actual contract might come as IICA2 (international individual contractor's agreement) or P3 (UN fixed-term staff contract).
Thanks for the clarification about roster category: ICS-10/IICA-2/P3 Programme Officer. Since you are rostered at UNOPS, it would be good if you browse through other UN Organization career portals and starts applying for jobs that falls under the said category and your credentials. Always mention your current roster status and that is how you can bypass assessment process while increasing your chances (more applications more chances).

I cannot predict the offer timing but roughly, it may take from just a month to months, for instance; New Contest (vacancy announcement - closing date - applicants sorting process for that specific position - Evaluation etc. Remember you are already roster so you do not need to go through all this but your competitors until the time of physical interview (approx. 1 - 7 months - it can stretch longer too). However, at UNOPS Roster it may get shorter (approx. 1 - 3 months) depending on the urgency to fill the vacancy (you may still have to follow the same above process).

It is always complicated and there is no straight answer or formula to calculate any exact time frame. A few important things you must check, One in hand is better then two in a bush - if you are working don't sign off until you sign a new contract. Secondly, apply to open positions within UN to increase your chances ! Try to stay in contact with the last personnel you communicated at UNOPS (if it's possible).

Finally remember this is very important:
ichtus wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 08:55
UN is generally slow. From one action to another, the average waiting time is between 1-2 months. It takes an average of 8 months to complete a recruitment in the UN system. You need to be very very very...patient.

ichtus
Posts: 15
Joined: 11 Nov 2018, 20:27
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: UNOPS roster

Post by ichtus » 16 Feb 2019, 13:48

NevKen wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 09:27
ichtus wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 08:27
The precise category is called ICS-10/IICA-2/P3 Programme Officer. I learnt from a UNOPS staff that this is the case for UNOPS, while ICS-10 indicates the job level, the actual contract might come as IICA2 (international individual contractor's agreement) or P3 (UN fixed-term staff contract).
Thanks for the clarification about roster category: ICS-10/IICA-2/P3 Programme Officer. Since you are rostered at UNOPS, it would be good if you browse through other UN Organization career portals and starts applying for jobs that falls under the said category and your credentials. Always mention your current roster status and that is how you can bypass assessment process while increasing your chances (more applications more chances).

I cannot predict the offer timing but roughly, it may take from just a month to months, for instance; New Contest (vacancy announcement - closing date - applicants sorting process for that specific position - Evaluation etc. Remember you are already roster so you do not need to go through all this but your competitors until the time of physical interview (approx. 1 - 7 months - it can stretch longer too). However, at UNOPS Roster it may get shorter (approx. 1 - 3 months) depending on the urgency to fill the vacancy (you may still have to follow the same above process).

It is always complicated and there is no straight answer or formula to calculate any exact time frame. A few important things you must check, One in hand is better then two in a bush - if you are working don't sign off until you sign a new contract. Secondly, apply to open positions within UN to increase your chances ! Try to stay in contact with the last personnel you communicated at UNOPS (if it's possible).

Finally remember this is very important:
ichtus wrote:
15 Feb 2019, 08:55
UN is generally slow. From one action to another, the average waiting time is between 1-2 months. It takes an average of 8 months to complete a recruitment in the UN system. You need to be very very very...patient.
Thanks Nevken for your reply. I also thought mentioning the roster status in my applications would generally support my application as a positive factor. I have been doing that since rostered. :)

And, thanks for the note on...patience...LOL

rums22
Posts: 4
Joined: 19 Feb 2019, 11:33
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: UNOPS roster

Post by rums22 » 21 Feb 2019, 06:48

Hi All,

I recently applied for a consultant position with the Stop TB partnership which is administered through UNOPS. The advertisement states it's a 'roster recruitment'. Does this mean that even if successful in getting through the application process I would be placed on a roster and then have to apply for specific positions?

Thanks,
Ramona

User avatar
NevKen
Posts: 159
Joined: 04 Aug 2018, 13:48
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: UNOPS roster

Post by NevKen » 21 Feb 2019, 19:00

rums22 wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 06:48
Hi All,

I recently applied for a consultant position with the Stop TB partnership which is administered through UNOPS. The advertisement states it's a 'roster recruitment'. Does this mean that even if successful in getting through the application process I would be placed on a roster and then have to apply for specific positions?

Thanks,
Ramona

It means the Vacancy Announcement is addressed to the rosterED candidates only.

ichtus
Posts: 15
Joined: 11 Nov 2018, 20:27
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: UNOPS roster

Post by ichtus » 23 Feb 2019, 04:15

NevKen wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 19:00
rums22 wrote:
21 Feb 2019, 06:48
Hi All,

I recently applied for a consultant position with the Stop TB partnership which is administered through UNOPS. The advertisement states it's a 'roster recruitment'. Does this mean that even if successful in getting through the application process I would be placed on a roster and then have to apply for specific positions?

Thanks,
Ramona

It means the Vacancy Announcement is addressed to the rosterED candidates only.
My recent experience with UNOPS roster is that, they only distribute private emails to rostered members- unlike the Secretariat.
So I think the so called 'roster recruitment' means they are going to generate a pool of candidates for the position. And yes, after you are rostered, you have to apply for specific positions by receiving private emails.

Mekhel
Posts: 2
Joined: 13 Mar 2019, 16:18

Re: UNOPS roster

Post by Mekhel » 13 Mar 2019, 16:52

Hi all,
Thank you for your contributions
I applied in January for the UNOPS malaria partnership Roster and I just received an invitation for a one-hour written test
I want to know what type of test is this? Technical and specific to malaria? general culture ? management?
Thanks to those who already have this type of test to enlighten us!
mekhel

Mekhel
Posts: 2
Joined: 13 Mar 2019, 16:18

Re: UNOPS roster

Post by Mekhel » 19 Mar 2019, 01:01

hello every one,

For roster application can someone tell me what kind of written test is in the first step ?

Technical ? general knowledge ? other ?
thank you
mekhel

Post Reply