Applying to a lower category

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
finsalscollons

Applying to a lower category

Post by finsalscollons » 14 Feb 2019, 18:54

Hi all.

This is my first post because I just discovered the forum but I want to thank Sebastian for all the good information in his website and the email list I have used for years.

Until recently, I was working as a P3 for the United Nations Secretariat, in a peacekeeping mission that is about to close. So my contract was not renewed although I had good qualifications. My contract ended last February 2. This was my first job as a UN employee although I have 26 years of experience and solid experience as a consultant with the UN system.

Now, I am looking again for an United Nations job. Thank God I have a job but I would like to go back to the United Nations, if possible.

I have seen an offer of a P2 position in my area in the United Nations Secretariat (but in another department different from peacekeeping missions). I would like to apply but I have been told that, once I have worked in a P3 position, I cannot work as a P2, because of regulations. I don't know if this is true.

Is this true? It is impossible to obtain a job of a lower category? If the answer is yes, this is the only answer I need.

If the answer is no, applying to a lower category decreases or increases my chances with respect to applying to the same category?

Thank you very much.

ichtus

Re: Applying to a lower category

Post by ichtus » 16 Feb 2019, 14:12

This is a very specific HR policy question. For detailed HR rules and policies, I suggest you explore them here:
https://hr.un.org/handbook
In general, I do not recall specific policies preventing staff from applying for a lower level.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 17 Feb 2019, 16:51

finsalscollons wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 18:54
I have seen an offer of a P2 position in my area in the United Nations Secretariat (but in another department different from peacekeeping missions). I would like to apply but I have been told that, once I have worked in a P3 position, I cannot work as a P2, because of regulations. I don't know if this is true.
I can't speak for the Secretariat's rules, but I have never heard of this being an issue. In fact, I do know people who have done this in the Secretariat. So you should be ok.
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

finsalscollons

Post by finsalscollons » 20 Feb 2019, 22:00

Thank you ichtus and Sebastian for your information, which is very useful. And thank you Sebastian for this wonderful resource.