Written Exam

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
Franek38

Written Exam

Post by Franek38 » 10 Mar 2019, 19:36

Hi Everyone,

After several unsuccessful applications, I have been shortlisted for a written examination for a P4 position at UNECE. Just to be sure that I prepare myself properly: the written exam seems to comprise a 35-question multiple choice test followed by a 3-question essay test (all in 90 minutes). Do you have any idea how different topics may be distributed between the 2 parts: e.g. the MCQ test is more about the UN/UNECE and the essay about the "core" activities in relation to the specific position OR all parts are usually directly targeting the "core" competencies for the position?

This is a GREAT website and forum. I just had a look at a few threads and that is particularly helpful!

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

anastasia_kouzina

Re: Written Exam

Post by anastasia_kouzina » 10 May 2019, 05:21

Franek38 wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 19:36
Hi Everyone,

After several unsuccessful applications, I have been shortlisted for a written examination for a P4 position at UNECE. Just to be sure that I prepare myself properly: the written exam seems to comprise a 35-question multiple choice test followed by a 3-question essay test (all in 90 minutes). Do you have any idea how different topics may be distributed between the 2 parts: e.g. the MCQ test is more about the UN/UNECE and the essay about the "core" activities in relation to the specific position OR all parts are usually directly targeting the "core" competencies for the position?

This is a GREAT website and forum. I just had a look at a few threads and that is particularly helpful!

Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Hi Franek! How did it go? Would you be willing to share your experience with others?
"It always seems impossible until it's done"
(c) Nelson Mandela

PAP

Post by PAP » 15 May 2019, 08:49

I recently completed a written test. It was a 30 MCQ test. It had to be completed in 30 minutes. Questions targeted the core competencies of the position.

Hope this info is useful.

Kosowar

Post by Kosowar » 25 Jul 2019, 22:40

Hi everyone!

Few days ago I received an email which reads Notification of written test for the position of Administrative Assistant, FS-5 ffor one UN Mission.
The email say there will be 50 multiple choice questions and the Time allocation will be 60 minutes.
Do you have any idea how could this online written test be?

Thank you in advance!

giselle2175

Post by giselle2175 » 30 Jul 2019, 13:13

I think it depends on the department which you've applied for. I got shortlisted for a P3 (Dubai) and P4 (Geneva) posts. The P4 post was about 30 MCQ questions to finish in 30 minutes and the the P3 was about 28 questions in which 24 questions consisted of multiple choices and the remaining 4 were essays. In both instances, the questions were related to the core competencies (even though it was listed as "optional" in the job descriptions.

sabi

Post by sabi » 31 Jul 2019, 14:30

giselle2175 wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 13:13
I think it depends on the department which you've applied for. I got shortlisted for a P3 (Dubai) and P4 (Geneva) posts. The P4 post was about 30 MCQ questions to finish in 30 minutes and the the P3 was about 28 questions in which 24 questions consisted of multiple choices and the remaining 4 were essays. In both instances, the questions were related to the core competencies (even though it was listed as "optional" in the job descriptions.
Hi giselle2175, I have a written test coming up and was wondering if you could talk a bit more about your experience, particularly for the P3 written test. Did you find the test difficult, especially the time constraint? What should be the key focus on when preparing for the test? For the essays was there enough time to think and respond, or would the best strategy be to start responding immediately? 4 essays seems like a lot.

Thank you and good luck!

I hope you hear back from them soon.

Ann

Post by Ann » 03 Aug 2019, 16:28

Hello, Giselle
Did you receive any feedback? Did they call you for the interview?

giselle2175

Post by giselle2175 » 04 Aug 2019, 16:16

Hi Sabi -

First of all i was a bit surprised on the level of complexities between P3 and P4. I thought i would get essays on P4 but I didn't even though it is a higher level. Anyway in my case, questions for P3 were very detailed to the point I needed to know numbers, and "who founded the department that I had applied for etc"..so make sure to know minor details that you didn't think they will ask ( i guess i was expecting it to be like P4 where the questions were more broad). Yes, there were time constraint for 3 reasons : 1)i spent a bit of a time on the multiple choices and 2)the essay questions were a bit difficult where you really need to think - i was asked to provide recommendations so i didn't have time to think. 3) i applied in an area where I am not familiar with but i guess they contacted to for my project management experience as per the job descriptions. All of the essays focused on that specific area rather than Project Management, and maybe they really needed to know how i structure my thoughts etc..Also, i wasnot given the chance to start from essays because there were the last 4 and I don't think you can skip over the multiple choices...My recommendation would to limit your time per their suggestions - in my case they had advised to spend 18-20 for the multiple choices and close to 50 minutes for the essays. Hopefully, I will get it because the project is exciting/challenging and it is in Dubai. As a canadian, Dubai can be an interesting place from a cultural standpoint. Good luck!
Last edited by giselle2175 on 04 Aug 2019, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

giselle2175

Post by giselle2175 » 04 Aug 2019, 16:17

no they didn't, and I am not giving back although i have started looking for other opportunities :)