Advices on 2 job opportunities

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
xul

Advices on 2 job opportunities

Post by xul » 22 Mar 2019, 07:39

Hello the community, I would like to have you ideas about two (potential) job opportunities.

I am actually a consultant working at a specialized agency (Geneva based). Consultancy converted from an internship. Have spent almost two years with the same team and on the same technical area of work. Wonderful team atmosphere and excellent relation with my direct supervisor. Have assumed an increasing level of responsibilities. “The team is investing in your development” as a quote from my department director. The department is able to open a temporary P2 position by the end of my current contract (July 2019). The money is secured, but there is no promise about the time line. Quite sure I will be able to get the position, if the it is set up. Also quite confident about the possibility to renew the contract.

In the meantime, I received an offer, through the YPP competition, of a P2 fixed term position in another agency (and in another lovely city). As this is an organizational hiring, the job security seems to be high. The position is in a different area that I have to learn from almost zero, though there is lots of potential and better exit opportunities (e.g. governance of artificial intelligence). I can also expect to access to a certain level of support from my home country. An important con is the career advancement seems to be slow as compared to the one I am working with (e.g in my current organization there are more P4/P5 vs P2/P3; two P5s at the age of 35 in my department of 20 professional staffs). But was also told that things may be different if sb is recruited through YPP processes.

So here is the trade-off question. I understand that this should be analyzed case by case, but in general what’s the competitive advantage of YPP path v.s intern-consultant-temporary - longerterm path. Or this doesn’t matter at all?

Cannot disclose too much detailed information, but very much appreciated your help and advices.

Louise

ichtus

Re: Advices on 2 job opportunities

Post by ichtus » 28 Mar 2019, 21:50

YPP is organized by UN Secretariat.
Internship converts into P contract only exist in UN agencies, not the UN Secretariat.
So your question can be actually translated into: working for UNS and UN agencies, which is better? I guess there are too many parameters to consider, and different people may have different answers.
Personally, I don't trust any promises or 'upcoming' opportunities. Things can change pretty fast with unexpected factors. I would go with what comes in written confirmation.

xul

Re: Advices on 2 job opportunities

Post by xul » 01 Apr 2019, 08:42

ichtus wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 21:50
YPP is organized by UN Secretariat.
Internship converts into P contract only exist in UN agencies, not the UN Secretariat.
So your question can be actually translated into: working for UNS and UN agencies, which is better? I guess there are too many parameters to consider, and different people may have different answers.
Personally, I don't trust any promises or 'upcoming' opportunities. Things can change pretty fast with unexpected factors. I would go with what comes in written confirmation.
Thank you ichtus! Just to clarify, this is a YPP programme of a specialized agency but not the UN YPP. Didnt know that only UN Secretariat has the YP programme.

I was offered the said p-2 position at my current department last week...and have to revert to the YPP offer within this week. My only concern about the YPP position is the relatively slow career path. I was intern then work as consultant right after graduation, so perhaps career prospect is more important than stability for me.

My question is therefore if the career advancement of YP is prioritized by UN in general (e.g. Presidential Management Fellows in the US will lead to a fast-track public career)? or after entering into the system, everyone will be competing on the same basis?

Thanks.