Announcing Ask Anything Friday: Beginners’ questions explained!

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
Sebastian

Announcing Ask Anything Friday: Beginners’ questions explained!

Post by Sebastian » 17 Apr 2019, 14:31

After a very successful first "Ask Anything" event last year, it is time to do it again: this Friday 19th of April, I will host an "Ask Anything Friday" - where we aim to get all your questions answered. The forum is to have your questions answered, to share your experiences, to ask peers what their take on all matters UN jobs is.

It can be intimidating to ask. That’s why we will have the Ask Anything Friday this week. Feel free to ask your basic, easy, hard to answer questions in this topic. On Friday I will go through them and reply to the best of my ability.

Thanks for asking!

Cheers,
Sebastian

PS: Volunteers wanted - if you know about the UN, job hunting etc. please chime in on Wednesday! The more the merrier! Thanks a lot!

If you want to know what we did last time, here is the archive to the previous event:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Mari_Chambel

Re: Announcing Ask Anything Friday: Beginners’ questions explained!

Post by Mari_Chambel » 18 Apr 2019, 03:36

WFP has launches a talent pool for global professionals. I have applied to the P2 position for the monitoring and evaluation office. I have been invited to take the technical assignment next Wednesday. I have no idea what to expect from this 2h30 test and how to prepare. Do you have any tips or know where I can find more information? Thank you so much for organizing this "ask anything friday"

suresnes

Post by suresnes » 18 Apr 2019, 06:17

Hi i was given the email with congratulations and the ‘offer of appointment’. It had the approximate salary in it but no date for starting the duty..(is this normal? first curiosity and question)

I signed this letter and also the release letter which came with it, that enables the organization to talk to my previous employers.

The release letter also asked me to contact my employers and get them to send the HR the original employment verification form. Which i did. My employers said they sent it. But i havent heard from them for over a week now.

Would i have to just wait..? Is there a possibility that something might go wrong at this stage and the job offer be withdrawn? (Second question)
Im kind of nervous please share ur thoughts and experiences

cherrygirl

Post by cherrygirl » 18 Apr 2019, 07:17

Hi, my references (all three of them) were submitted about 2 weeks ago.
(Things got too delayed and I was actually very nervous)
I was told by the panel by then my profile needs to get approved from 4 offices but said ideally they will get back to me within 2 weeks after getting my reference. Should I just send a follow up e-mail or give another week or so?
I feel really nervous whenever I have to send a follow up e-mail......

Also does pre-offer e-mail come first for some agencies?
I heard this happened for my friends who got offer from IOM and UNSC..

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 21 Apr 2019, 15:26

Mari_Chambel wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 03:36
WFP has launches a talent pool for global professionals. I have applied to the P2 position for the monitoring and evaluation office. I have been invited to take the technical assignment next Wednesday. I have no idea what to expect from this 2h30 test and how to prepare. Do you have any tips or know where I can find more information? Thank you so much for organizing this "ask anything friday"
Typically these kinds of tests involve the kinds of situations / questions / tasks you would encounter in the real job. There is a whole topic on the FIT pool also here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15

Good luck!
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 21 Apr 2019, 15:27

suresnes wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 06:17
Hi i was given the email with congratulations and the ‘offer of appointment’. It had the approximate salary in it but no date for starting the duty..(is this normal? first curiosity and question)

I signed this letter and also the release letter which came with it, that enables the organization to talk to my previous employers.

The release letter also asked me to contact my employers and get them to send the HR the original employment verification form. Which i did. My employers said they sent it. But i havent heard from them for over a week now.

Would i have to just wait..? Is there a possibility that something might go wrong at this stage and the job offer be withdrawn? (Second question)
Can I ask which organisation this relates to? And where did you apply (which website)? Thanks!

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 21 Apr 2019, 15:29

cherrygirl wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 07:17
I was told by the panel by then my profile needs to get approved from 4 offices but said ideally they will get back to me within 2 weeks after getting my reference. Should I just send a follow up e-mail or give another week or so?

I would not worry. Very few organisations really manage to have everything done in 2 weeks. I would give this a bit more time.

Yes, you would typically hear from them about the outcome from the interview either via email or via Skype / a phone call.

Good luck!

suresnes

Post by suresnes » 22 Apr 2019, 04:07

Sebastian wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 15:27
suresnes wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 06:17

Can I ask which organisation this relates to? And where did you apply (which website)? Thanks!
UNDESA in newyork and its a g level position. It wasnt done on inspira but the local organization itself!

cherrygirl

Post by cherrygirl » 24 Apr 2019, 12:54

Sebastian wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 15:29
cherrygirl wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 07:17

I would not worry. Very few organisations really manage to have everything done in 2 weeks. I would give this a bit more time.

Yes, you would typically hear from them about the outcome from the interview either via email or via Skype / a phone call.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot! I received a pre-pre offer e-mail I would say for one of the agencies I've applied for.
For the one I've mentioned here, I was not able to put myself together and just ended up sending a follow up e-mail. Thankfully the HR responded and was told I need to wait a little bit longer. Thanks a lot! I always check this site when I am about to have a nerve breakdown related to UN jobs :)

anastasia_kouzina

Post by anastasia_kouzina » 24 Apr 2019, 13:00

At what stage does the UN contact the applicant's former supervisors (not references)? What is usually expected of them?Will the applicant be notified?

Some of my former supervisors don't speak English/French, so I'm a bit worried how this will go.
"It always seems impossible until it's done"
(c) Nelson Mandela