How long to hear back after interview?

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
est-est
Posts: 2
Joined: 19 Apr 2019, 02:47
Has thanked: 5 times

How long to hear back after interview?

Post by est-est » 19 Apr 2019, 02:54

How long does it take to hear back once you have had an interview (after taking the written exam etc.)?

I appreciate that this will be subjective and depend on the UN agency, but would love to hear your experiences as to when you received (good or bad) news following an interview?

In my interview, I had completely forgotten to ask for an estimated timeframe. It’d also be interesting to know whether they take longer to deliver bad news as opposed to good news based on your experiences.

Thanks in advance!

cherrygirl
Posts: 27
Joined: 13 Feb 2019, 13:40
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: How long to hear back after interview?

Post by cherrygirl » 24 Apr 2019, 12:48

Hi, it took about 2 weeks for one agency. For another one, it took 2 months. The third one....I am reaching the third week but I could not stop and sent an-email and was told to wait a little bit longer..

redcat
Posts: 2
Joined: 02 Apr 2019, 21:13
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: How long to hear back after interview?

Post by redcat » 24 Apr 2019, 12:57

I was interviewed around a month ago, and asked at the time about timescales. I was told it would likely take a month before I heard, and they specifically asked about contacting my references but I haven't seen anything writing asking to do that, and I know they haven't contacted them yet. So I am in limbo, and there's little to do but wait it out. I will update this thread when I hear.

Jupiter
Posts: 18
Joined: 19 Feb 2019, 07:34
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: How long to hear back after interview?

Post by Jupiter » 26 Apr 2019, 18:44

According to what i have read. The joint review board for (UNHCR) meet only 7 times in a year. Which implies meeting every 51 days to review recommendations of candidates for P category. I guess that might be the same for other organisations, it can explain why the process is so lengthy.

karen Paul
Posts: 15
Joined: 12 Nov 2018, 20:52
Has thanked: 5 times

Re: How long to hear back after interview?

Post by karen Paul » 26 Apr 2019, 22:12

Please does this apply for senior level jobs too?I mean jobs for Country representative of unhcr.
Any idea how long we should wait before getting a response.
Thanks.

cherrygirl
Posts: 27
Joined: 13 Feb 2019, 13:40
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: How long to hear back after interview?

Post by cherrygirl » 26 Apr 2019, 23:46

karen Paul wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 22:12
Please does this apply for senior level jobs too?I mean jobs for Country representative of unhcr.
Any idea how long we should wait before getting a response.
Thanks.
My manager once told me he had to wait 2 years to hear back about his job in New York. But another manager mentioned it took him about 6 months. Both were at P5 level. So it really depends just like other junior to mid-manager jobs.

cherrygirl
Posts: 27
Joined: 13 Feb 2019, 13:40
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: How long to hear back after interview?

Post by cherrygirl » 27 Apr 2019, 01:14

Jupiter wrote:
26 Apr 2019, 18:44
According to what i have read. The joint review board for (UNHCR) meet only 7 times in a year. Which implies meeting every 51 days to review recommendations of candidates for P category. I guess that might be the same for other organisations, it can explain why the process is so lengthy.
This sounds horrendous!!

The sad truth is as one of the candidates, I can complaint but there does not seem to be no other alternative but just to wait. The funny stuff is from one of the agencies, I was invited for the interview just after 2 weeks after submitting the profile. Then took me a day to get the pre-pre offer after the interview. So if the organisation is really urgent, they will do their best to make it work ASAP. When I've applied for the same programme and the same agency, which I was also successful, it took them about 3 months. So for the similar post and the programme, once it took less than 3 weeks when it took 3 months the other time.

karen Paul
Posts: 15
Joined: 12 Nov 2018, 20:52
Has thanked: 5 times

Re: How long to hear back after interview?

Post by karen Paul » 27 Apr 2019, 07:03

Thanks,I guess it all depends on the agency and the needs of the job.
Patience is a virtue when applying for jobs with UN.

lena
Posts: 12
Joined: 06 May 2019, 16:32
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: How long to hear back after interview?

Post by lena » 06 May 2019, 16:44

Hi! so I had my interview a month ago, but they told me they'd contact me within 15 days. Keep in mind that there was Easter week in between, so it has been roughly three weeks since I interviewed. I just sent a follow up email to see what's happening.

This is for a GS position vacancy. Does anyone know if it's supposed to be faster or slower for GS?

Thanks!

BenjaminLincoln
Posts: 9
Joined: 28 May 2019, 21:01

Re: How long to hear back after interview?

Post by BenjaminLincoln » 28 May 2019, 21:08

lena wrote:
06 May 2019, 16:44
Hi! so I had my interview a month ago, but they told me they'd contact me within 15 days. Keep in mind that there was Easter week in between, so it has been roughly three weeks since I interviewed. I just sent a follow up email to see what's happening.

This is for a GS position vacancy. Does anyone know if it's supposed to be faster or slower for GS?

Thanks!
Hey Iena,

Have you heard from them yet?

Post Reply