UNOPS ICAA contract status and benefits

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
Marielena21

Re: UNOPS ICAA contract status and benefits

Post by Marielena21 » 17 Jun 2019, 13:29

Thanks Sebsstian, this was very helpful. I have my interview today. If I get an offer I'll weigh benefits and entitlements vs what I have now at my current job in another UN agency!!!

Francesc Grau Ortiz

Post by Francesc Grau Ortiz » 12 Jul 2019, 03:32

Hii everybody!

Recently I received and offer of LICA-4 contract with UNOPS, and among the conditions they say:

- Annual Leave: No
- Sick Leave: No
- Maternity/Paternity Leave: No
- Service incurred Injury, Illness, Disability and Death Insurance: No
- Death and Permanent Disability Insurance: No
- Health Insurance: No

I read in the forum that benefits like Annual leave, Sick Leave or Parental Leave have to be recognized, can you confirmed?

icaqueries

Post by icaqueries » 05 Aug 2019, 17:11

Hi there, can anyone on here please advise if Germany has an agreement like Denmark, where ICA work is exempt from income tax?

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 17 Aug 2019, 07:28

Francesc Grau Ortiz wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 03:32
Hii everybody!

Recently I received and offer of LICA-4 contract with UNOPS, and among the conditions they say:

- Annual Leave: No
- Sick Leave: No
- Maternity/Paternity Leave: No
- Service incurred Injury, Illness, Disability and Death Insurance: No
- Death and Permanent Disability Insurance: No
- Health Insurance: No

I read in the forum that benefits like Annual leave, Sick Leave or Parental Leave have to be recognized, can you confirmed?
Hi,

is this with UNOPS or on behalf of a partner? If this is for UNOPS directly, you should have all these included. If this is a partner personnel contract you might indeed have to discuss this with the organisation you are joining (in this case, UNOPS is only the administrator of the contract)
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

baraf

Post by baraf » 27 Apr 2020, 12:34

Hi all, I would like to revive some of the conversation held on this topic as I have just interviewed for 2 IICA positions in Africa.

As far as I understood, not all benefits of the P-posts apply, but you can negotiate to have a lump-sum amount on your monthly remuneration, is that correct?

Does this mean that I can request to include rational sums for dependency, education, rent, insurance, settling-in costs (shipping etc.) and pretty much all those allowances that are usually included in P-level salary, and make it all a lump-sum for my monthly remuneration?

i.e. IICA-1 in Addis Ababa
- Considering that it should be equal to P-2 step 1 level >> Gross $5,623.67
- Spouse, 2 Childs, Hardship, Non-removal allowance >> approx. $1,500
- Life & medical insurance >> approx. $1500 (all 4 members)
- Settling-in allowance >> approx. $3000 (you get 39K as a P-2)
- Education >> approx. $2000
- Housing >> approx. $2000
TOT: approx. $15,000

Seems a little too much to me... any comments on how things really are?

Thanks!

simkas

Post by simkas » 19 Jun 2020, 19:32

baraf wrote:
27 Apr 2020, 12:34
Hi all, I would like to revive some of the conversation held on this topic as I have just interviewed for 2 IICA positions in Africa.

As far as I understood, not all benefits of the P-posts apply, but you can negotiate to have a lump-sum amount on your monthly remuneration, is that correct?

Does this mean that I can request to include rational sums for dependency, education, rent, insurance, settling-in costs (shipping etc.) and pretty much all those allowances that are usually included in P-level salary, and make it all a lump-sum for my monthly remuneration?

i.e. IICA-1 in Addis Ababa
- Considering that it should be equal to P-2 step 1 level >> Gross $5,623.67
- Spouse, 2 Childs, Hardship, Non-removal allowance >> approx. $1,500
- Life & medical insurance >> approx. $1500 (all 4 members)
- Settling-in allowance >> approx. $3000 (you get 39K as a P-2)
- Education >> approx. $2000
- Housing >> approx. $2000
TOT: approx. $15,000

Seems a little too much to me... any comments on how things really are?

Thanks!
I just saw your post. Did you receive the offer? did you negotiate the salary? If you are selected for the post you will receive an offer letter with proposed salary which is similar to P2 step 1. You can still try to negotiate a bit, meaning a couple of hundred dollars. Note that education, housing, settling allowances are not provided for IICAs. They are not going to cover your removal expenses, they only pay for YOUR flight. I was in the same situation. E.g flight of my spouse was not covered, neither settling allowance, removal costs, shipping of stuff... that's how IICA contracts work. Also, IICA1 is similar to P2 in terms of duties and responsibilities NOT in terms of salary and benefits.

baraf

Post by baraf » 25 Jun 2020, 06:06

Hi, thanks for the reply. I haven't received an offer yet, they said it would still take another week or so.
I have confirmed with other sources what you also shared, and yes, apparently there isn't much room for negotiation, especially on the benefits side. The fact that removal expenses are not paid is really tough, especially considering how much the P-staff are getting from that....I wonder how everybody is coping with that.

simkas

Post by simkas » 03 Jul 2020, 15:42

I dont think that many people with families accept IICA contacts. Benefits are not good, salaries cant even compare to P-staff salaries and benefits.