Does anybody know what an ICA-1 is?

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
Pete

Does anybody know what an ICA-1 is?

Post by Pete » 22 Aug 2018, 19:07

UNOPS is advertising these kinds of contracts. I'm not sure what it means. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! :D

NevKen

Re: Does anybody know what an ICA-1 is?

Post by NevKen » 22 Aug 2018, 20:22

ICA - Individual Contract Agreement with two types, local (LICA) and international (IICA).

Whereas the following numeric value corresponds to the minimum level at which the contract will be signed. P levels are for UN Personnels whereas ICAs are only hired on when a specific skill set requirement arise within a team of P level personnel to complete a task. ICA contract holders are not considered the UN Personnel and cannot market themselves as UN employees but consultants.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 23 Aug 2018, 05:44

Hi all,

let me answer this question - I believe I can (full disclosure: I have professional experience with UNOPS, so I know how this works). First of all, the ICA is a relatively modern way for the UN to structure their personnel contracts. So while ICA are indeed no UN Staff they are of course UNOPS Personnel. I'm sure a good lawyer could tell you all the difference about these two things but I'm not a lawyer, so I will not attempt to explain. I should mention that there are of course differences in Staff as well, so from those that have red LPs to those with mere blue LPs to to those with no LP, nationals and internationals - well there is a lot to consider.

Back to the topic: ICAs are - as NevKen mentioned - either LICAS (Local ICAs i.e. national personnel) or IICAS (International ICAs i.e. international personnel). These contracts carry a lot of entitlements including leave, sick-leave, parental leave, a provident fund, insurances etc. One of the great features about UNOPS ICA contracts is that they are continuous (ongoing), i.e. are not your typical 1 year contracts but have an open end date (don't confuse them though with permanent contracts, that's a thing of the past). So while they are not for life, you don't have an annual contract renewal process which is nice.

The IICA-1 (if that is what you mean) is the entry level international ICA equivalent to a P2/P3 (broad banded range).

Does that help?
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 23 Aug 2018, 11:51

I apologies for any misinformation and also for not citing my words as there is no such requirement here. I just forgot to mention the source by not say 'as per' :

ST/AI/2013/4 (Available to public at UN DOC)

This is the official TOR for Contractors/Consultants (for those who are new to regulations don't be confused by simply assuming 2013 is very old and where is the 2018) In law the date is a reference to the time it first came into effect.

Sebastian do you know about any latest amendment?

Enigma

Post by Enigma » 23 Aug 2018, 13:16

Sebastian, could you please explain that what the difference between ICA and P jobs are? From your explanation, it seems you are saying they are effectively the same, just different names. If not, could you expand on what the differences between a P and an ICA Job are?

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 23 Aug 2018, 15:18

NevKen wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 11:51
I apologies for any misinformation and also for not citing my words as there is no such requirement here. I just forgot to mention the source by not say 'as per' :

ST/AI/2013/4 (Available to public at UN DOC)

This is the official TOR for Contractors/Consultants (for those who are new to regulations don't be confused by simply assuming 2013 is very old and where is the 2018) In law the date is a reference to the time it first came into effect.

Sebastian do you know about any latest amendment?
No need to apologize - your contributions are always welcome! Keep doing your great work! Much appreciated!

Yes, I think we need to be much more precise (so I did a sneak-edit to my comment). The UN has its own way of dealing with non-staff contracts. What UNOPS has been doing is really to develop the non-staff contracts into a modern contract that suits the needs of individuals and those of the organisation really well (or should I say it attempted at doing that - I will let other judge if UNOPS was successful).
Enigma wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 13:16
Sebastian, could you please explain that what the difference between ICA and P jobs are? From your explanation, it seems you are saying they are effectively the same, just different names. If not, could you expand on what the differences between a P and an ICA Job are?
I think there are two answers to your question: from a legal perspective there are a number of differences between staff and non-staff contracts. This includes matters of privileges and immunities and who/what governs the legal conditions of the contract, how staff-representation works etc.

From a practical perspective the difference between staff and non-staff contracts is pretty much depending on the organisation and how it looks at talent. In UNOPS you will find that all personnel (regardless of staff or non-staff) is taken very serious, that talent management offerings, training opportunities, career options etc. apply to all personnel on a UNOPS contract and that in daily working arrangements all personnel on all contracts are working collaboratively and free of contract-related differences in treatment.

There are of course differences. One of which is, that the ICA salary for internationals is not following a strict rule but is (in moderation) negotiable. This allows the organisation to hire expert skills at market rates. It also leaves the individual more free in terms of benefits choices: as IICA in UNOPS you are not forced to join the provident fund (many staff members are forced to join the UN Staff Pension Fund) etc. But of course this also places a higher responsibility on the individual to ensure that your needs are covered.
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

omaherna

Post by omaherna » 01 Nov 2018, 14:06

Sorry for jumping in! I'm currently a Consultant (not UNOPS Consultant) at the UN Secretariat. I'm interested in a position as UNOPS Consultant with UNEP. That said, UNEP is considered part of the UN Secretariat. I'm planning to apply for P positions but I've to wait 6 months as per regulation on this matters. However, if I work as a UNOPS Consultant at UNEP would that be considered a "consultancy" in the terms of the administrative instruction. I understand that one can be a consultant i.e. with UNHCR, UNICEF and so on and as they are agencies, that would not break the 6-month rule... Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 02 Nov 2018, 05:33

omaherna wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 14:06
Sorry for jumping in! I'm currently a Consultant (not UNOPS Consultant) at the UN Secretariat. I'm interested in a position as UNOPS Consultant with UNEP. That said, UNEP is considered part of the UN Secretariat. I'm planning to apply for P positions but I've to wait 6 months as per regulation on this matters. However, if I work as a UNOPS Consultant at UNEP would that be considered a "consultancy" in the terms of the administrative instruction. I understand that one can be a consultant i.e. with UNHCR, UNICEF and so on and as they are agencies, that would not break the 6-month rule... Any advice would be highly appreciated!
It is a very interesting question and worth exploring. My suspicion is that this case is not covered in the policies as the use of UNOPS contracts in the Secretariat is something relatively new (but growing fast as I understand it). If I were you, would argue that you are on a UNOPS contract and thus that the break in service requirement does not apply. However, I could imagine that HR is thinking differently: you are on what UNOPS calls "a Partner Personnel" contract - i.e. a contract that allows UNOPS partners to make all their HR decisions while UNOPS provides contract administration and payroll services. So from a pure HR perspective you could argue that it doesn't matter that UNOPS is administering your contract since any HR management and duty of care responsibilities still are with UNEP. Anyways - good luck and I would try unless you are explicitly told you can't apply...

Yusuf

Post by Yusuf » 02 Nov 2018, 07:56

Sebastian, does this mean that ICA is not only for UNOPS? Who else is using the ICA?

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 02 Nov 2018, 11:30

Yusuf wrote:
02 Nov 2018, 07:56
Sebastian, does this mean that ICA is not only for UNOPS? Who else is using the ICA?
Hi Yusuf - yes, UNOPS administers ICAs on on behalf of many different UN organisations.