Does anybody know what an ICA-1 is?

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
jennfm

Re: Does anybody know what an ICA-1 is?

Post by jennfm » 03 Jan 2019, 18:26

Hi Sebastien,
Thank you for the really useful information. Do you know if the ICA-1 contract includes education grant for children? Health insurance for children? If it is a "contractor" contract, can you work from home?
Kind regards,
Jennifer

duasahil

Post by duasahil » 10 Jan 2019, 08:36

Dear Sebastien et al

I need urgent help/advise as I received an offer from UNOPS that I must reply by tomorrow.

Little background:
I am currently living in Brussels with my family and have a very stable job at one of the top consulting companies. However it was always my motivation to work for the UN and I have been trying for quite a while. My expererience working at MSF for 8 years gives me a strong chance. I have 11 years experience in total.

I received this Tuesday an offer to work for UNOPS at their NYC office in IICA 2 contract. It says “4
months - open ended” subject to availability of funds/budget. It’s a new project/initiative of UNOPS with DFS/DOS.

Now I read your positive comments about IICA. But still I want to know what are the chances, going by experience, that this will not end in 4 months? In other words, what’s the job security here esp given I will be leaving a stable job. I do think if they call someone from Belgium to work at NY they should have some long term plans but then why 4 months yet open ended which makes me doubtful.

On the other hand, is there a scope to negotiate the contract (a) to provide more job security/longer term? If yes, how/what should be negotiated (b) what about salary negotiation, how much can be negotiated? I see that given my experience my salary should be 25% more in NYC if I was to work at my company in NYC (c) the offer does not include relocation or any other monetary benefits, it says “all inclusive” - any scope to negotiate this?

I have a call today with UNOPS so will appreciate a quick reply/help.

Thanks
SD

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 10 Jan 2019, 13:21

duasahil wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 08:36
Now I read your positive comments about IICA. But still I want to know what are the chances, going by experience, that this will not end in 4 months? In other words, what’s the job security here esp given I will be leaving a stable job. I do think if they call someone from Belgium to work at NY they should have some long term plans but then why 4 months yet open ended which makes me doubtful.
You are confused making decision on grounds that you want to sign 4 month contract with UNOPS for NY and fear you have to leave your permanent job. The decision will be yours, no matter what other says:

It seems you wish to experience life in NY that arrived to your doorstep in a form of 4 month package deal. You also stated that you always wish to work for the UN, what else I missed here.

Now if you as an adult/professional/Belgian sign a contract for 4 months then it's 4 months (in letters or in numbers it is the same) You cannot cry a river to make it 5 months because you signed only 4 months. Whereas work extension is subject to funding, even another funding approves, you will be offered contract extension in months not years (legally such contract does not exists).
duasahil wrote:
On the other hand, is there a scope to negotiate the contract (a) to provide more job security/longer term?
Simply No. Be advised the difference between an employee and a contractor.

sanka

Post by sanka » 16 Jan 2019, 11:02

Does a break in service( separation) apply for one who completed mandatory 4 years national UNV contrcat and wants a local TA( G) position with another UN agency( probably the hosting agency). Thank you.

sm1812

Post by sm1812 » 13 Feb 2019, 12:02

Hi Guys.. need some suggestions.. I have been working with one of the UN agency on UNOPS contract IICA-1 for now almost 3 years in the same agency at same duty station.. Initially came on 06 months contract then it was extending in months as funding was available through other projects too.

Now I would like to apply for P level positions ..Having total 8 years experience (3 yrs with UN), I will prefer to apply for P-3.. can someone clarify how does this calculation work? I also heard that we need to have 1 yr break from the UNOPS contract to be considered for P level (UN staff) positions..is that true? Please guide..Thank you.

simkas

Post by simkas » 18 Feb 2019, 10:00

duasahil wrote:
Dear Sebastien et al

I need urgent help/advise as I received an offer from UNOPS that I must reply by tomorrow.

Little background:
I am currently living in Brussels with my family and have a very stable job at one of the top consulting companies. However it was always my motivation to work for the UN and I have been trying for quite a while. My expererience working at MSF for 8 years gives me a strong chance. I have 11 years experience in total.

I received this Tuesday an offer to work for UNOPS at their NYC office in IICA 2 contract. It says “4
months - open ended” subject to availability of funds/budget. It’s a new project/initiative of UNOPS with DFS/DOS.

On the other hand, is there a scope to negotiate the contract (a) to provide more job security/longer term? If yes, how/what should be negotiated (b) what about salary negotiation, how much can be negotiated? I see that given my experience my salary should be 25% more in NYC if I was to work at my company in NYC (c) the offer does not include relocation or any other monetary benefits, it says “all inclusive” - any scope to negotiate this?

I have a call today with UNOPS so will appreciate a quick reply/help.

Thanks
SD
Dear SD,

Did you manage to negotiate with UNOPS? May I ask you what was your application timeline? How long it took form the date of closure of vacancy till interview and offer and starting date? is starting date negotiable? I am in process too so wondering how long it takes.

Thank you!

13RVNokri

Re: Does anybody know what an ICA-11 pay rate is?

Post by 13RVNokri » 18 Mar 2019, 18:46

Does anybody know what an ICA-11 pay rate is?

elena91

Post by elena91 » 18 Aug 2019, 14:28

@Sebastian Many thanks for the information provided. You mentioned above that the ICA salary for internationals is not following a strict rule but is (in moderation) negotiable which allows the organisation to hire expert skills at market rates. Do you mean than the salary would be announced by the HR manager during the interview? Is there an online source for referencing a salary for the position of a Digital Communications Officer? I am now looking at the IICA-1 contract, duty station Copenhagen, Denmark.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 18 Aug 2019, 15:41

elena91 wrote:
18 Aug 2019, 14:28
@Sebastian Many thanks for the information provided. You mentioned above that the ICA salary for internationals is not following a strict rule but is (in moderation) negotiable which allows the organisation to hire expert skills at market rates. Do you mean than the salary would be announced by the HR manager during the interview? Is there an online source for referencing a salary for the position of a Digital Communications Officer? I am now looking at the IICA-1 contract, duty station Copenhagen, Denmark.
Typically you will be offered an amount (after a successful selection process). You can then try to negotiate from there. Fair warning: not every manager is willing to negotiate, so don't take it too personal if they won't move much...
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.