Does anybody know what an ICA-1 is?

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
jennfm

Re: Does anybody know what an ICA-1 is?

Post by jennfm » 03 Jan 2019, 18:26

Hi Sebastien,
Thank you for the really useful information. Do you know if the ICA-1 contract includes education grant for children? Health insurance for children? If it is a "contractor" contract, can you work from home?
Kind regards,
Jennifer

duasahil

Post by duasahil » 10 Jan 2019, 08:36

Dear Sebastien et al

I need urgent help/advise as I received an offer from UNOPS that I must reply by tomorrow.

Little background:
I am currently living in Brussels with my family and have a very stable job at one of the top consulting companies. However it was always my motivation to work for the UN and I have been trying for quite a while. My expererience working at MSF for 8 years gives me a strong chance. I have 11 years experience in total.

I received this Tuesday an offer to work for UNOPS at their NYC office in IICA 2 contract. It says “4
months - open ended” subject to availability of funds/budget. It’s a new project/initiative of UNOPS with DFS/DOS.

Now I read your positive comments about IICA. But still I want to know what are the chances, going by experience, that this will not end in 4 months? In other words, what’s the job security here esp given I will be leaving a stable job. I do think if they call someone from Belgium to work at NY they should have some long term plans but then why 4 months yet open ended which makes me doubtful.

On the other hand, is there a scope to negotiate the contract (a) to provide more job security/longer term? If yes, how/what should be negotiated (b) what about salary negotiation, how much can be negotiated? I see that given my experience my salary should be 25% more in NYC if I was to work at my company in NYC (c) the offer does not include relocation or any other monetary benefits, it says “all inclusive” - any scope to negotiate this?

I have a call today with UNOPS so will appreciate a quick reply/help.

Thanks
SD

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 10 Jan 2019, 13:21

duasahil wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 08:36
Now I read your positive comments about IICA. But still I want to know what are the chances, going by experience, that this will not end in 4 months? In other words, what’s the job security here esp given I will be leaving a stable job. I do think if they call someone from Belgium to work at NY they should have some long term plans but then why 4 months yet open ended which makes me doubtful.
You are confused making decision on grounds that you want to sign 4 month contract with UNOPS for NY and fear you have to leave your permanent job. The decision will be yours, no matter what other says:

It seems you wish to experience life in NY that arrived to your doorstep in a form of 4 month package deal. You also stated that you always wish to work for the UN, what else I missed here.

Now if you as an adult/professional/Belgian sign a contract for 4 months then it's 4 months (in letters or in numbers it is the same) You cannot cry a river to make it 5 months because you signed only 4 months. Whereas work extension is subject to funding, even another funding approves, you will be offered contract extension in months not years (legally such contract does not exists).
duasahil wrote:
On the other hand, is there a scope to negotiate the contract (a) to provide more job security/longer term?
Simply No. Be advised the difference between an employee and a contractor.

sanka

Post by sanka » 16 Jan 2019, 11:02

Does a break in service( separation) apply for one who completed mandatory 4 years national UNV contrcat and wants a local TA( G) position with another UN agency( probably the hosting agency). Thank you.

sm1812

Post by sm1812 » 13 Feb 2019, 12:02

Hi Guys.. need some suggestions.. I have been working with one of the UN agency on UNOPS contract IICA-1 for now almost 3 years in the same agency at same duty station.. Initially came on 06 months contract then it was extending in months as funding was available through other projects too.

Now I would like to apply for P level positions ..Having total 8 years experience (3 yrs with UN), I will prefer to apply for P-3.. can someone clarify how does this calculation work? I also heard that we need to have 1 yr break from the UNOPS contract to be considered for P level (UN staff) positions..is that true? Please guide..Thank you.

simkas

Post by simkas » 18 Feb 2019, 10:00

duasahil wrote:
Dear Sebastien et al

I need urgent help/advise as I received an offer from UNOPS that I must reply by tomorrow.

Little background:
I am currently living in Brussels with my family and have a very stable job at one of the top consulting companies. However it was always my motivation to work for the UN and I have been trying for quite a while. My expererience working at MSF for 8 years gives me a strong chance. I have 11 years experience in total.

I received this Tuesday an offer to work for UNOPS at their NYC office in IICA 2 contract. It says “4
months - open ended” subject to availability of funds/budget. It’s a new project/initiative of UNOPS with DFS/DOS.

On the other hand, is there a scope to negotiate the contract (a) to provide more job security/longer term? If yes, how/what should be negotiated (b) what about salary negotiation, how much can be negotiated? I see that given my experience my salary should be 25% more in NYC if I was to work at my company in NYC (c) the offer does not include relocation or any other monetary benefits, it says “all inclusive” - any scope to negotiate this?

I have a call today with UNOPS so will appreciate a quick reply/help.

Thanks
SD
Dear SD,

Did you manage to negotiate with UNOPS? May I ask you what was your application timeline? How long it took form the date of closure of vacancy till interview and offer and starting date? is starting date negotiable? I am in process too so wondering how long it takes.

Thank you!