PhD: needed or not

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
anastasia_kouzina

PhD: needed or not

Post by anastasia_kouzina » 24 Apr 2019, 08:27

Hello everyone!

I've heard the opposite views on having a PhD and applying for a job in the UN. Some people believe that the degree shows a deeper knowledge of the subject matter (:ugeek:), and so it's considered an advantage. Others - that it doesn't matter. A few - that it hurts your application because you are considered having this "theoretical" thinking.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Nastia
"It always seems impossible until it's done"
(c) Nelson Mandela

rjh

Re: PhD: needed or not

Post by rjh » 10 May 2019, 15:18

I would say it depends on the kind of position you're applying for and the background you have. At the end of the day, they want the person who can bring the relevant skills to the job.

I'm about to finish a PhD in Engineering and I got shortlisted and invited for an interview for a JPO position with the UNHCR. The job is not directly in my field (still enginering though) but I have the required transferable skills. Let's see how far that gets me!

anastasia_kouzina

Post by anastasia_kouzina » 16 May 2019, 03:38

rjh wrote:
10 May 2019, 15:18
I would say it depends on the kind of position you're applying for and the background you have. At the end of the day, they want the person who can bring the relevant skills to the job.

I'm about to finish a PhD in Engineering and I got shortlisted and invited for an interview for a JPO position with the UNHCR. The job is not directly in my field (still enginering though) but I have the required transferable skills. Let's see how far that gets me!
Good luck!
"It always seems impossible until it's done"
(c) Nelson Mandela

finis_terrae

Post by finis_terrae » 17 May 2019, 08:18

It depends on what you understand as "having a PhD". Doctoral studies are definitely an advantage in the context of recruitment process (CV), but not quite in the context of work. People with significant scientific achievements, a long list of publications are more independent in thinking and less prone to standards. In the case of P3 jobs this can be a disadvantage rather than an advantage.

cherrygirl

Post by cherrygirl » 23 May 2019, 01:10

I might have a different opinion. I've googled some head of UN agencies and they had a PhD from quite reputable schools. So to me at least it looks like it matters to senior levels. But I've never met persons with PhD at a P2 or P3 levels. But for consultants who needed specific skills they did have a PhD.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 23 May 2019, 07:08

cherrygirl wrote:
23 May 2019, 01:10
I might have a different opinion. I've googled some head of UN agencies and they had a PhD from quite reputable schools. So to me at least it looks like it matters to senior levels. But I've never met persons with PhD at a P2 or P3 levels. But for consultants who needed specific skills they did have a PhD.
I do have a PhD and in some cases it has gotten me to the competition table and in other cases not. But, I don't regret having my PhD even if I am applying to P2-P3 positions.