Need help to make a choice between 2 opportunities

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
pupuce

Need help to make a choice between 2 opportunities

Post by pupuce » 01 May 2019, 12:11

Hi everyone,

I'm very grateful and happy that 2 offers have been extended to me and I'm now torn to make a choice between the two. I would love to hear your insights on this and which one you would recommend and why.

1) P3 UN staff position (fixed term) with all the staff benefits
or
2) Individual contractor IICA3 - ICS11 (P4-equivalent) higher level position but only a lump-sum pay and no benefits

Thanks in advance for your advice!

cherrygirl

Re: Need help to make a choice between 2 opportunities

Post by cherrygirl » 01 May 2019, 13:17

I would go for a FTA P3 over IICA 3. It is because of all the benefits you can get as a FTA.
You can always look into move to P4 as a staff instead of a consultant.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 01 May 2019, 13:55

pupuce wrote:
01 May 2019, 12:11
Hi everyone,

I'm very grateful and happy that 2 offers have been extended to me and I'm now torn to make a choice between the two. I would love to hear your insights on this and which one you would recommend and why.

1) P3 UN staff position (fixed term) with all the staff benefits
or
2) Individual contractor IICA3 - ICS11 (P4-equivalent) higher level position but only a lump-sum pay and no benefits

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Like Cherry said, this is a very easy choice. Staff position always trumps IICA (especially if they are both professional positions) except you're already a retiree looking to keep busy/make money. As a staff, there's the possibility of growth, as an Individual Contractor you leave once the stipulated time is over, plus no pension.

Stevo

Post by Stevo » 01 May 2019, 21:42

Tricky, much pay/benefits difference?

pupuce

Post by pupuce » 02 May 2019, 01:38

Thank you all for your advice.
I thought so too but I was told that I should not say no to a P4-equivalent even if is an IICA because I may be stuck at P3 level for years and it is not easy to move up the ladder.
On the other hand the IICA is in NYC and yes there is quite a difference in terms of net pay monthly.