Success stories!

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
Trex

Re: Success stories!

Post by Trex » 13 Jun 2019, 02:23

Hi Lisa,
Have you received any update from the organisation where you applied.
I also applied for a P3 post and my timeline is pretty similar to your timeline.
I am still waiting for any update from the UN, it's been 2 month after the reference check and I haven't heard anything.

Lisa

Post by Lisa » 13 Jun 2019, 12:26

Trex wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 02:23
Hi Lisa,
I also applied for a P3 post and my timeline is pretty similar to your timeline.
I am still waiting for any update from the UN, it's been 2 month after the reference check and I haven't heard anything.
Hey Trex,
Not yet. Still waiting. This waiting is longer than I ever imagined. I can only hope for good news.
They did your reference check after the competence based interview?
On my case, I'm not sure they have done the reference check, after my interview on 30th April.
Good luck to you! I'm sure you will get feedback sooner or later.

BenjaminLincoln

Post by BenjaminLincoln » 21 Jun 2019, 17:33

Lisa wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 12:26
Trex wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 02:23
Hi Lisa,
Hey Trex,
Not yet. Still waiting. This waiting is longer than I ever imagined. I can only hope for good news.
They did your reference check after the competence based interview?
On my case, I'm not sure they have done the reference check, after my interview on 30th April.
Good luck to you! I'm sure you will get feedback sooner or later.
Hey Lisa,
I've been reading your posts and I am wondering if you've had any feedback.
I've myself been in the waiting game for a month now: one month after my competency-based interview.
Though 2 weeks after my interview the HR reached out to ask for scanned copies of my degrees.
Nothing since then: wondering what that means. Anybody chime in?

Lisa

Post by Lisa » 22 Jun 2019, 17:17

Hey Benjamin,
Nothing. Still waiting.. I guess it can take as long as 2 months or more, especially for the P jobs.
Check out this:
https://m.facebook.com/notes/un-job-lis ... 927749254/
End of June, I'll be doing 2 months since the competence- based interview. I haven't lost, even though I'm still applying for others in the meantime.
Let's just wait and hope for the best.
I wish you success and good luck!
Keep us posted on your progress.

Ruthy Agatha

Post by Ruthy Agatha » 05 Jul 2019, 05:38

Hi guys, I would like to thank Sebastian for creating this forum it has truly been helpful. It's my first time applying to UN. I applied for p4 post as a health officer with Office for ECOSOC support and coordination if there is anyone who has applied there please fill me in about their recruitment process.
Anyhow that said reading through and seeing how long some people have had to wait has made me appreciate how fast my process has been. I applied towards the closing time of the job vacancy that was in early June and I was invited for a competency based interview shortly after they had closed the vacancy. So a week ago HR sent me some medical forms to fill and also asked me to get a certificate of good health from my personal physician. I was also asked to send in my references which I did and sent both forms. It's been a week since I sent them so how long should I wait for them to get back to me I really do hope they get back to me with good news. I have talked to my references and they haven't been contacted yet. Am keeping the faith

Nijalou

Post by Nijalou » 16 Jul 2019, 15:08

Hello everybody !

I have just finished a compatency-based interview for a P3 position for UNDP in Dakar.

I am so anxious now ! It went quite good but it was not as perfect as it could have been (I really prepared for this interview). Sometimes I was hesitating and had trouble to chose my words. I am a little bit disappointed by my oral English level, as I am not a native speaker and not used to speak it on a daily basis. But in the end I feel relatively confident as my potential direct supervisor looked satisfied.

The process is surprisingly quick. I applied one month ago, and they just told me that they would revert to me in within two weeks for the final decision. They need my availabilty (if I am chosen) as soon as possible. I cross my fingers now !

BenjaminLincoln

Post by BenjaminLincoln » 16 Aug 2019, 14:13

Ruthy Agatha wrote:
05 Jul 2019, 05:38
Hi guys, I would like to thank Sebastian for creating this forum it has truly been helpful. It's my first time applying to UN. I applied for p4 post as a health officer with Office for ECOSOC support and coordination if there is anyone who has applied there please fill me in about their recruitment process.
Anyhow that said reading through and seeing how long some people have had to wait has made me appreciate how fast my process has been. I applied towards the closing time of the job vacancy that was in early June and I was invited for a competency based interview shortly after they had closed the vacancy. So a week ago HR sent me some medical forms to fill and also asked me to get a certificate of good health from my personal physician. I was also asked to send in my references which I did and sent both forms. It's been a week since I sent them so how long should I wait for them to get back to me I really do hope they get back to me with good news. I have talked to my references and they haven't been contacted yet. Am keeping the faith
Hi Ruthy,

As per the UN usual timelines, one week is a very short waiting time period, my friend.

I myself have the milestones below:
Dec. 2018: Deadline for applications
May 2019: Written assessment
June 2019: Competency-based interview
July 2019: HR request for scanned copies of diplomas

But I'd say that you have two things to be optimistic for: (1) they asked you for your medicals, which means you've been quite far in the process; (2) your process looks quite expedited. It probably has to do with your field of work and the necessity to hasten things to save lives.

In my opinion, you will be hired. It's now a matter of time.
As for the references, I've heard that some organizations reach out to them at the same time they issue a contract offer. I personally tend to believe that unless something extra-ordinary is raised by the references, when they have made their choice, their choice is made.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Ben

BenjaminLincoln

Post by BenjaminLincoln » 16 Aug 2019, 14:19

Nijalou wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 15:08
Hello everybody !

I have just finished a compatency-based interview for a P3 position for UNDP in Dakar.

I am so anxious now ! It went quite good but it was not as perfect as it could have been (I really prepared for this interview). Sometimes I was hesitating and had trouble to chose my words. I am a little bit disappointed by my oral English level, as I am not a native speaker and not used to speak it on a daily basis. But in the end I feel relatively confident as my potential direct supervisor looked satisfied.

The process is surprisingly quick. I applied one month ago, and they just told me that they would revert to me in within two weeks for the final decision. They need my availabilty (if I am chosen) as soon as possible. I cross my fingers now !
Hi Nijalou,

As in my response above, the process takes quite long in the UN.
One day they are very expediting the process, and next day there are many things that come up in the long administrative and procedural (rightly so by the way when you think about it as you want to make sure that everything goes through the designed standards) steps that make it longer as expected, and even as promised.

Welcome to the waiting group, and let's us hope for the better.

Good luck!
Ben

dee06

Post by dee06 » 24 Aug 2019, 12:13

Hello everyone,

I interviewed with a panel for a position at the WFP in July and I was told to expect a response by end of August (next week). I applied in June and got an invite for the interview mid-July. I'll keep you posted :)
I am also curious to know if anybody has a success story to share about UNICEF consultancies. There are a couple of openings that I am interested in but the closing date for the openings is August 30th and the start date is September 1st- how is that possible? Are those consultancies often intended for internal candidates?

Thank you!

johne

Post by johne » 29 Aug 2019, 13:22

dee06 wrote:
24 Aug 2019, 12:13
Hello everyone,

I interviewed with a panel for a position at the WFP in July and I was told to expect a response by end of August (next week). I applied in June and got an invite for the interview mid-July. I'll keep you posted :)
I am also curious to know if anybody has a success story to share about UNICEF consultancies. There are a couple of openings that I am interested in but the closing date for the openings is August 30th and the start date is September 1st- how is that possible? Are those consultancies often intended for internal candidates?

Thank you!
It usually does not mean anything. They could write immediate but the process could still take a year. The start date is more of "expected" date, something they really really hope for. Also, sometimes they start testing/interviewing before the closing date, that is why people always say that you should apply as soon as possible.