Success stories!

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
Jannu

Re: Success stories!

Post by Jannu » 02 Sep 2019, 08:21

johne wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 13:22
Also, sometimes they start testing/interviewing before the closing date, that is why people always say that you should apply as soon as possible.
Isn't this unfair? Is it really so that they take action before closing date? What if they have tested/interviewed some but the best one is sending application just before closing time?

johne

Post by johne » 03 Sep 2019, 12:26

Jannu wrote:
02 Sep 2019, 08:21
johne wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 13:22
Also, sometimes they start testing/interviewing before the closing date, that is why people always say that you should apply as soon as possible.
Isn't this unfair? Is it really so that they take action before closing date? What if they have tested/interviewed some but the best one is sending application just before closing time?
It is not my place to judge whether it is fair or unfair. I think that it is the point of the "closing date", so that if there is a better candidate than the ones already chosen for interview/testing, then that candidate can be tested :) Also, do not forget that they can place "good" candidates for the roster or suggest their profile to other UN agencies. For example, let's say there Elon Musk applies for an engineer position at the last minute of the closing date for P2, i do not think that they will simply say "Oh well, thank you for applying but you were not successful at this point". They will either "hire" him or suggest him to a higher position/another agency. Do not quote me on this though, I do not work for UN and this is only something that i have heard for some of the applications. I have no idea whether it is true or not or whether my explanations are correct, i am simply guessing at this point.

dee06

Post by dee06 » 03 Sep 2019, 21:08

Unfortunately sometimes the process can be quite vague. I was reading older posts earlier regarding the small gap between posting date and closing date. Some people suggested that sometimes those consultancies already have internal candidates intended for the job and the job advert is just a formality (i.e. they must advertise it) which is consistent with what i've read on Glassdoor as well.

atmonarman

I finally got it!

Post by atmonarman » 04 Sep 2019, 08:10

Hi folks,

After 1.5 years, some 300 applications, and 13 shortlistings (reaching the final interview at most of them), I was starting to believe that it is impossible for an outsider to enter the UN sytem.

However, I have just been informed that I have been selected for a P4 field position!

I cannot describe in words the happyness I feel since then.

As an advice to others, maybe my mistake was focusing on Headquarter positions (I applied relatively little to field positions).

cenzo

Post by cenzo » 04 Sep 2019, 13:36

Congratulations, atmonarman !!
I am very happy for you. It gives me hope.
At this time, I just can not say anymore how many applications I did, already ...

Fleurdunil

Post by Fleurdunil » 04 Sep 2019, 18:00

Awesome news @atmonarman , how long did it take to hear back from the reference check to be informed you were selected? (I'm in this stage now and biting my fingernails but recognize I may not have got the job.)

prdeepak

Post by prdeepak » 05 Sep 2019, 00:31

Congratulations atmonarman. This is such an amazing news!. It is good to hear that your hardwork, patience and persistence paid off. Definately motivates us to keep going:-)

BenjaminLincoln

Re: I finally got it!

Post by BenjaminLincoln » 09 Sep 2019, 14:31

Congratulations atmonarman!

This is a very encouraging and refreshing news.
Good luck in your UN adventure!

Ben

atmonarman wrote:
04 Sep 2019, 08:10
Hi folks,

After 1.5 years, some 300 applications, and 13 shortlistings (reaching the final interview at most of them), I was starting to believe that it is impossible for an outsider to enter the UN sytem.

However, I have just been informed that I have been selected for a P4 field position!

I cannot describe in words the happyness I feel since then.

As an advice to others, maybe my mistake was focusing on Headquarter positions (I applied relatively little to field positions).