FROM UNV TO STAFF

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
Post Reply
UnitedCandidates
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Sep 2018, 02:39
Been thanked: 3 times

FROM UNV TO STAFF

Post by UnitedCandidates » 21 May 2019, 03:35

Hello!

How often or how common an actual UNV, at the end of his contract could receive an offer to be a staff like P2 or P3?

Does the UN system as a whole is allowed to offer contracts without a public VA and process?

H.O.P
Posts: 165
Joined: 21 Sep 2018, 11:51
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: FROM UNV TO STAFF

Post by H.O.P » 21 May 2019, 07:20

Since becoming a UNV, I have seen former UNVs who are now staff members. Some were hired after completing their UNV maximum time (initially 6 years and now 4 years). But, last year the rule has changed and you can now be directly recruited even as a current UNV. A former colleague was hired on a P2 TJO and I, myself was just in a competition for a P2. So, there is a chance although not automatic. You have to find your way. There are so many who also don't get anything. So many are about to leave soon without getting a staff contract.
Everything is about your timing, luck/fate.

cherrygirl
Posts: 44
Joined: 13 Feb 2019, 13:40
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: FROM UNV TO STAFF

Post by cherrygirl » 24 May 2019, 11:21

I've seen some UNVs becoming consultant or staff member after leaving the UN system for a few years. There needs to be a post that matches the candidate's candidate and it does not always happen when your contract as an UNV finishes. As H.O.P mentioned it, really depends a lot on luck and internal politics. I mean even being in an TA staff does not guarantee anything for anyone.

sxmd
Posts: 3
Joined: 29 May 2019, 10:56
Has thanked: 2 times

Re: FROM UNV TO STAFF

Post by sxmd » 29 May 2019, 11:04

Like both colleagues before me stated, anything can happen after a UNV appointment, be it becoming a consultant having a service contract or becoming a staff member, but nothing is automatic. You have to really forge good relationships if you want to go beyond the time of your UNV appointment.
Does the UN system as a whole is allowed to offer contracts without a public VA and process?
In short, not for staff positions. Even if a post is "for you", you will have to go through a sham recruitment process, which in my opinion is a waste of the organization's and many candidate's time and resources. Direct contracts can happen for consultancies under some instances. I got hired through a direct contract for a short consultancy after my UNV post (performing the same functions).

starryhindsight
Posts: 63
Joined: 21 Sep 2018, 14:41
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: FROM UNV TO STAFF

Post by starryhindsight » 30 Apr 2020, 04:53

I have been a UNV (P2 level) with UNHCR for almost 1.5 years, and with UNVs, we are able to become internal candidates after 3 years (consecutive years). I received an offer from another UN agency for a consultancy 6 months (also at P2 level), can be extended subject to funding).
Now, I'm sort of interested to see how another agency works and to learn from it, however, it's a bit of a riskier move as the consultancy I assume would be considered a break in service with UNHCR.
What do you guys think? Stay the course as a volunteer or switch to the consultancy post. I do love the work with UNHCR and see myself back there.

Papa
Posts: 46
Joined: 29 Aug 2018, 20:54
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: FROM UNV TO STAFF

Post by Papa » 02 May 2020, 05:54

Hey Starryhindsight,
Thank for the insight about the UNHCR experience, the only experience I have so far is with UNDP. I suggest that you stick with UNHCR if they is a chance of becoming a staff. Thou the consultancy I understand it pays like thrice what UNV pays. I had a position with UNV in a pacific country for one year. I decided to not renew with hopes that I will get another offer soon. Its almost 5 months now with no offer in sight. My colleagues who I left behind are still working. I am beginning to feel frustrated with all these plus the Corvid 19 thing.

H.O.P
Posts: 165
Joined: 21 Sep 2018, 11:51
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: FROM UNV TO STAFF

Post by H.O.P » 02 May 2020, 14:07

starryhindsight wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 04:53
I have been a UNV (P2 level) with UNHCR for almost 1.5 years, and with UNVs, we are able to become internal candidates after 3 years (consecutive years). I received an offer from another UN agency for a consultancy 6 months (also at P2 level), can be extended subject to funding).
Now, I'm sort of interested to see how another agency works and to learn from it, however, it's a bit of a riskier move as the consultancy I assume would be considered a break in service with UNHCR.
What do you guys think? Stay the course as a volunteer or switch to the consultancy post. I do love the work with UNHCR and see myself back there.
This is a tricky one. If it was any other Agency, I would say go with the Consultancy. But, knowing the UNHCR path and I would likely favour them. But, again it depends on your future goals. Also, check if you can get directly hired from consultant to staff. I know there has to be some break in the UN and some of its Agencies.

cherrygirl
Posts: 44
Joined: 13 Feb 2019, 13:40
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: FROM UNV TO STAFF

Post by cherrygirl » 02 May 2020, 23:51

I would recommend going for a consultancy. You can always go back to UNHCR after gaining experience as a consultant. UNV is a very tricky one and I also have experience of working as a UNV. It is not necessarily making a progress to jump from a UNV to a consultant. But people seem to think a consultant is in a higher position than UNVs. Most of the jobs I've applied for mentioned I should have made progress professionally.

H.O.P
Posts: 165
Joined: 21 Sep 2018, 11:51
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: FROM UNV TO STAFF

Post by H.O.P » 03 May 2020, 08:23

cherrygirl wrote:
02 May 2020, 23:51
I would recommend going for a consultancy. You can always go back to UNHCR after gaining experience as a consultant. UNV is a very tricky one and I also have experience of working as a UNV. It is not necessarily making a progress to jump from a UNV to a consultant. But people seem to think a consultant is in a higher position than UNVs. Most of the jobs I've applied for mentioned I should have made progress professionally.
This days people are moving from consultant to UNV at least the people I’ve come across because of the direct hire rule that’s now permissible with UNV. But these people I speak of, already knew of the possibility of been given a staff contract before they switched. Like I wrote earlier it really does depend on her and the circumstances of the offer.

cherrygirl
Posts: 44
Joined: 13 Feb 2019, 13:40
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: FROM UNV TO STAFF

Post by cherrygirl » 07 May 2020, 05:30

H.O.P wrote:
03 May 2020, 08:23
cherrygirl wrote:
02 May 2020, 23:51
I would recommend going for a consultancy. You can always go back to UNHCR after gaining experience as a consultant. UNV is a very tricky one and I also have experience of working as a UNV. It is not necessarily making a progress to jump from a UNV to a consultant. But people seem to think a consultant is in a higher position than UNVs. Most of the jobs I've applied for mentioned I should have made progress professionally.
This days people are moving from consultant to UNV at least the people I’ve come across because of the direct hire rule that’s now permissible with UNV. But these people I speak of, already knew of the possibility of been given a staff contract before they switched. Like I wrote earlier it really does depend on her and the circumstances of the offer.
Ah, I had no idea about this. Thanks for sharing this information!

Post Reply