Years of Experience - how to count

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
UnitedCandidates

Years of Experience - how to count

Post by UnitedCandidates » 29 May 2019, 03:32

Greetings!

Some vacancies ask for 7 years of experience if you hold an advanced degree, or 9 years if you hold only a BSc or equivalent.

My question is:

I have 10 years of experience before my masters and only 2 years after it. Do they count the 10 years before my masters?

NevKen

Re: Years of Experience - how to count

Post by NevKen » 29 May 2019, 09:01

UnitedCandidates wrote:
29 May 2019, 03:32
Some vacancies ask for 7 years of experience if you hold an advanced degree, or 9 years if you hold only a BSc or equivalent. My question is: I have 10 years of experience before my masters and only 2 years after it. Do they count the 10 years before my masters?

During the candidate's technical evaluation ... Experience/Education is evaluated based on the; similarity/relevance/breadth/depth in the field required for job etc. (that's the UN System Org. Standard Operating Procedure)

Experience: is counted in total - altogether before/after the degree - minus the irrelevant to the field to determine the actual scale/merit the candidates and further on to establish the grade/salary step etc

Education: the degrees i.e; Master/bachelor actually certifies the degree holder for having specialized skills in xyz field.

Basic Eligibility/Technical Evaluation: i.e, in an environmental field job, a Master degree in environmental management would make the candidate eligible and may get shortlisted but that doesn't mean it will be evaluated a top notch match specifically when they are looking for environmental planner with hands on experience in environ. law.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 01 Jun 2019, 11:53

UnitedCandidates wrote:
29 May 2019, 03:32
I have 10 years of experience before my masters and only 2 years after it. Do they count the 10 years before my masters?
Very short answer: "it depends" (i.e. different organisations handle this differently)

Typically the count what they consider "relevant experience". If your employment is paid, in a similar field and you can demonstrate that it contributed to your professional experience you should be fine. For the rest: pretty much like @NevKen says
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

simkas

Post by simkas » 26 Jul 2019, 13:48

Hello,

How does the work experience acquired as an intern and trainee count toward the number of years of experience required for a Professional position?

The official UN guide says that Since an internship is considered a learning experience and in order to recognize the contribution which interns from various professional fields provide to an organisation, the UN Secretariat counts only 50% of the work experience gained as an intern towards relevant work experience required for positions at the professional level.""

But what about traineeships? Are they counted as 50% or 100%? I did internship at UN, which counts for 50%, that's clear. But then did several traineships at EU institutions or other international institutions and not sure how they are counted.

Thank you!!

Simka