HR officers who contact you to apply for a job

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
Keenley

HR officers who contact you to apply for a job

Post by Keenley » 10 Aug 2019, 17:54

Am I the only one who finds this strange?
I am contacted by an HR person, who says they found me to be qualified and would like for me to throw my hat in the ring for a position.
Naturally, I do exactly that. The position closes and in a couple of months, I receive a regret.
I did not even get tested. I have had this happen twice. WHY? can UN Secretariat and UNOPS tell me why they do this?
If you know the person stands a zero chance, please do not contact them. Do unto others as...…..
I am a female and I believe these HR officers are under extra pressure on the gender numbers in not-so-great duty stations these days; so they will do this to avoid conflict for themselves---not necessarily because they want you. It is a check mark for them to say, "see boss, I really did try to perform outreach and get these women in for the gender indicators. I did my job. Give me a good performance review".

UNOPS_Official

Re: HR officers who contact you to apply for a job

Post by UNOPS_Official » 15 Aug 2019, 15:18

Hi,

I am Amaury, HR Advisor within UNOPS. Thank you for your comments.

HR Officers at UNOPS are indeed conducting direct candidate sourcing for some vacancies and, they invite relevant ones to apply. The selection of candidates is done by Hiring Managers and is based on the relevance and quality of the application submitted.

HR Officers only invite those candidates who fulfill minimum requirements to apply for the position.

Candidates who have been invited to apply still need to submit a high quality application in order to be selected among a large number of applicants. Hope this clarifies.
Best regards,

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 15 Aug 2019, 15:32

UNOPS_Official wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 15:18
Hi,

HR Officers at UNOPS are indeed conducting direct candidate sourcing for some vacancies and, they invite relevant ones to apply. The selection of candidates is done by Hiring Managers and is based on the relevance and quality of the application submitted.

HR Officers only invite those candidates who fulfill minimum requirements to apply for the position.

Candidates who have been invited to apply still need to submit a high quality application in order to be selected among a large number of applicants. Hope this clarifies.
Best regards,
Hi Amaury,

thanks so much for chiming in - this is much appreciated!

Everyone - I can confirm that Amaury is an official UNOPS HR official. I think it is fantastic to have HR professionals on this board, too!
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

karen Paul

Post by karen Paul » 15 Aug 2019, 22:03

Hi fellow hopefuls a bunch of thanks to Sebastian and Amaury for making the whole recruitment system less intimidating.I wish to know how long it takes generally to get be notified in cases of readvertised jobs within unops.

FromKadugli

Post by FromKadugli » 17 Aug 2019, 08:23

UNOPS_Official wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 15:18
Hi,

Best regards,
Hi Amaury - thank You for coming here! :D

I hgave asked about Women and the UN here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=428

Can you tell me your take? Is UNOPS trying to employ more women? If so, what does UNOPS do to get more women? Your insight is very much appreciated!

@Sebastian - can we also have other UN HR people chime in here?

Ashraf

Post by Ashraf » 18 Aug 2019, 13:28

Jambo Aamaury! I want to know if you only contact women or also men?