Qualifications / Education for UN Jobs - what is required?

Things to know before you start applying to jobs in the United Nations. Also, other tips and tricks, common pitfalls and place to discuss employment scams.
vincentkalonga

Qualifications / Education for UN Jobs - what is required?

Post by vincentkalonga » 08 Sep 2018, 05:01

Hi everyone!
I would also wish to know what kind of qualifications are suitable to UN general? That means level of education, GPA, and experiences if possible.
Best Regards

Sebastian

Re: Qualifications / Education for UN Jobs - what is required?

Post by Sebastian » 08 Sep 2018, 07:10

vincentkalonga wrote:
08 Sep 2018, 05:01
Hi everyone!
I would also wish to know what kind of qualifications are suitable to UN general? That means level of education, GPA, and experiences if possible.
Best Regards
Hi Vincent,

I moved your question here and made it its own topic - so we can all see and discuss it well.

I think the very basic notion used to be for long time: The absolute minimum is a high-school diploma for all General Service / ICS 1 to 7 jobs and a University level Master's degree for Professional Service / ICS 8 and above.

However, things have moved a bit from there: I see jobs where you need more than a high-school diploma for GS level jobs and I know of situations where a Bachelor's + given years of relevant experience can substitute for a Master's. But this is true more for the Funds & Programmes - any insight from the Secretariat anybody?
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Anja

Post by Anja » 13 Sep 2018, 12:05

This would always be explained in the actual JD.

UN linguist

Post by UN linguist » 29 Sep 2018, 14:48

I work in the Secretariat and three out of the four ‘conference typist’ posts in our typing pool are occupied by staff who have a bachelor’s degree. The posts are at G-5 level and only require fluency in English. Similar posts in the five other language units require native-level fluency in the appropriate language and near-perfect English and most of those posts are also occupied by people who have a degree. However, they are what in the old days we used to call “two ‘O’-level jobs” in the UK, ‘O-levels’ being the public exams that we used to sit at the age of 16. To give you a point of comparison, an average pupil was expected to leave school at 16 with five ‘O’-levels.

The qualifications and experience stipulated for UN posts are an absolute minimum; most people are vastly over-qualified for the job they are doing and in many parts of the organization you can hardly move for falling over Ph.Ds. Does that mean that the organization has the best people for every job? Absolutely not, unfortunately, but it can ask for whatever it wants and has the pick of the crop.

cypcon

Post by cypcon » 14 Nov 2018, 10:47

I am 32 years experienced civil engineer. what is my grading for UN jobs.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 18 Nov 2018, 07:27

cypcon wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 10:47
I am 32 years experienced civil engineer. what is my grading for UN jobs.

Welcome to this forum! If you are a civil engineer I would assume your best chances are working in infrastructure projects. There is a number of these kinds of projects going on in the UN at any given moment.

UNOPS and UNDP have some jobs online in this area at the moment: https://unjoblist.org/results.php?kw=in ... Job=Search
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

hezborn.okatch

Post by hezborn.okatch » 20 Nov 2018, 07:40

I am 21 years a part time student studying procurement and logistics,how can I get a generic job at the UN and be able to carter for my fee as I work with the UN,

FromKadugli

Post by FromKadugli » 21 Nov 2018, 17:57

hezborn.okatch wrote:
20 Nov 2018, 07:40
I am 21 years a part time student studying procurement and logistics,how can I get a generic job at the UN and be able to carter for my fee as I work with the UN,
From what I know this will not work very well. I have not seen many part-time jobs in the UN yet. I might be wrong but I havent. Sebastian, do you know that?