Retirement age?

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
FromKadugli

Retirement age?

Post by FromKadugli » 09 Sep 2018, 09:18

I'm confused as to what is the retirement age in the UN? I have seen different numbers from "no retirement age exists" over 67, 65 all the way down to 62 and even 55 - does anybody know this?

Thanks!

Sebastian

Re: Retirement age?

Post by Sebastian » 12 Sep 2018, 09:04

FromKadugli wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 09:18
I'm confused as to what is the retirement age in the UN? I have seen different numbers from "no retirement age exists" over 67, 65 all the way down to 62 and even 55 - does anybody know this?

Thanks!
Hello,

indeed - retirement ages are different depending on when you joined the UN and what kind of HR contract you are on. I'm certainly not an expert - so I would appreciate if somebody knowledgeable chimes in, but in principle there is the following:
  • Contracts with UN Pension (typically Staff contracts)
  • Contracts without UN Pension (typically non-staff contracts
If there is a pension included, it is typically the UN Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF). https://www.unjspf.org/

Once you joined the UNJSPF there are different options on when to start your pension: The earliest is (as far as I know) 55 years (early retirement). But depending on when you joined the UN the mandatory age of separation (i.e. the time when you really have to retire) is either 62 or 65 years.
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.