Retirement age?

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
FromKadugli

Retirement age?

Post by FromKadugli » 09 Sep 2018, 09:18

I'm confused as to what is the retirement age in the UN? I have seen different numbers from "no retirement age exists" over 67, 65 all the way down to 62 and even 55 - does anybody know this?

Thanks!

Sebastian

Re: Retirement age?

Post by Sebastian » 12 Sep 2018, 09:04

FromKadugli wrote:
09 Sep 2018, 09:18
I'm confused as to what is the retirement age in the UN? I have seen different numbers from "no retirement age exists" over 67, 65 all the way down to 62 and even 55 - does anybody know this?

Thanks!
Hello,

indeed - retirement ages are different depending on when you joined the UN and what kind of HR contract you are on. I'm certainly not an expert - so I would appreciate if somebody knowledgeable chimes in, but in principle there is the following:
  • Contracts with UN Pension (typically Staff contracts)
  • Contracts without UN Pension (typically non-staff contracts
If there is a pension included, it is typically the UN Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF). https://www.unjspf.org/

Once you joined the UNJSPF there are different options on when to start your pension: The earliest is (as far as I know) 55 years (early retirement). But depending on when you joined the UN the mandatory age of separation (i.e. the time when you really have to retire) is either 62 or 65 years.
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

UN linguist

Post by UN linguist » 29 Sep 2018, 14:04

As Sebastian said, it depends on when you joined the organization and it is very complicated. I’m just an ordinary staff member who attended a pension briefing recently, not an expert, but from what I know, if you joined before 1990, the mandatory age of separation (i.e. what we would think of as the normal retirement age) is 60. If you joined between then and a few years ago, it’s 62, although you can choose to work till 65 if you want to, and if you have joined in the past few years or join now, it’s 67.

However... if you joined young, have worked 30 years and contributed to the pension fund for all that time, you can take early retirement from 55 onwards.

So that’s why you will have seen 55, 60, 62, 65 and 67 cited as UN retirement ages! It probably won’t be long before the mandatory age of separation is raised to 70, either...

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » 06 Oct 2018, 15:20

Cheers @UN linguist! To make things even more complicated: once you officially retire you can continue to work on any non-staff modality if you make sure not to violate time/financial limits (you can't work full-time).
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.