Fixed Term Versus Temporary Assignment

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
Kokolicious

Fixed Term Versus Temporary Assignment

Post by Kokolicious » 22 Sep 2019, 06:58

I recently (finally!) got two offers with a UN agency after more than 5 years of applying. I am however at a crossroad . One is a position in AFRO, a fixed term P3 , 2 years. The second one is in Europe- a P4 Temporary, 2 years assignment. Based on my experience and education, I am at a P4 level.

What is the difference between fixed and temporary, what do you advice? What are the risks and what factors should I put into consideration in deciding?

Thanks

cherrygirl

Re: Fixed Term Versus Temporary Assignment

Post by cherrygirl » 08 Oct 2019, 14:52

I would def go for a P3 if it is a FTA. Then I would aim for a P4 FTAs whilst being on the P3 FTA. There are too many risks in the UN system and you can easily loose your job.

Shabazz The Disciple

Post by Shabazz The Disciple » 15 Oct 2019, 07:42

Kokolicious wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 06:58
I recently (finally!) got two offers with a UN agency after more than 5 years of applying. I am however at a crossroad . One is a position in AFRO, a fixed term P3 , 2 years. The second one is in Europe- a P4 Temporary, 2 years assignment. Based on my experience and education, I am at a P4 level.

What is the difference between fixed and temporary, what do you advice? What are the risks and what factors should I put into consideration in deciding?

Thanks
Congrats Kokolicous, I am so happy happy for you, which agencies were these? A fixed term contract is more secure with more benefits than a temporary one, but to be sure ask where the source of income is coming from, nothing is secure in the UN these days. Anyway I am really happy for you. After 5 years of applications, you never gave up

pupuce

Post by pupuce » 01 Nov 2019, 18:58

I'm a bit confused. I understood all P positions were fixed term, and an FTA is by definition temporary? Could someone please explain the difference between a P4 FTA and a P4 Temporary for example?

To OP: I was in your shoes a few months ago and had to choose between a P3 FTA and a ICAA 11 (P4 equivalent). I took the P3. Unless you have any objection moving to Africa (in that case take the position in Europe), that would be the reasonable choice.