Application Process!

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
Mer
Posts: 7
Joined: 03 Oct 2019, 20:50
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Application Process!

Post by Mer » 20 Apr 2020, 15:01

Hello everyone,

Here is my experience so far with my applications. I have started to apply in September 2019, I have made a total of 37 applications. I only apply for positions within my area of expertise and for which I answer ALL of the qualifications (mostly p3-p4). I am a woman, I speak fluently 2 UN languages and I am functional in a 3rd, I think this could be added advantages on top of everything else.

Out of these 37 applications, 13 were completed by roster (!), 1 was canceled and 4 are 'completed'. Out of the 19 left, I only consider 13 to be still active possibilities (job closed less than 2 months ago).

Out of those 13 'active' applications, I was invited to a written exam. I applied in January, the job closed at the beginning of February. I received an email invitation to a written test online using the UN Exam website beginning of April and I completed the exam the second week of April right before the Easter holiday. I am now waiting to see if I make it to the interview stage!

The exam itself was hard (1 question, essay-type answer, 1h to complete). Apart from knowing your field (you are supposed to be an expert after all!) you really need to read extensively on the work accomplished by the agency for which you applied to (which I did). Overall, I think I performed really well, I answered the question thoroughly and even had time to review. I would be surprised if I don't make it to the next stage, but one can never be sure.

I'm in the second week of waiting and I hope I get some news this week or the next. I was told by friends at the UN that the post-exam invitation to the interview should take 1-3 weeks usually. They told me that the coronavirus crisis might make things longer or faster, depending on the agency. Fingers crossed.

I will let you know if I get to that stage,

Cheers.

Mer
Posts: 7
Joined: 03 Oct 2019, 20:50
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Application Process!

Post by Mer » 14 May 2020, 14:18

Mer wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 15:01
Hello everyone,

Here is my experience so far with my applications. I have started to apply in September 2019, I have made a total of 37 applications. I only apply for positions within my area of expertise and for which I answer ALL of the qualifications (mostly p3-p4). I am a woman, I speak fluently 2 UN languages and I am functional in a 3rd, I think this could be added advantages on top of everything else.

Out of these 37 applications, 13 were completed by roster (!), 1 was canceled and 4 are 'completed'. Out of the 19 left, I only consider 13 to be still active possibilities (job closed less than 2 months ago).

Out of those 13 'active' applications, I was invited to a written exam. I applied in January, the job closed at the beginning of February. I received an email invitation to a written test online using the UN Exam website beginning of April and I completed the exam the second week of April right before the Easter holiday. I am now waiting to see if I make it to the interview stage!

The exam itself was hard (1 question, essay-type answer, 1h to complete). Apart from knowing your field (you are supposed to be an expert after all!) you really need to read extensively on the work accomplished by the agency for which you applied to (which I did). Overall, I think I performed really well, I answered the question thoroughly and even had time to review. I would be surprised if I don't make it to the next stage, but one can never be sure.

I'm in the second week of waiting and I hope I get some news this week or the next. I was told by friends at the UN that the post-exam invitation to the interview should take 1-3 weeks usually. They told me that the coronavirus crisis might make things longer or faster, depending on the agency. Fingers crossed.

I will let you know if I get to that stage,

Cheers.
Did get an interview invitation 5 weeks after the completion of the written test. Very excited!

glennm
Posts: 6
Joined: 26 May 2019, 18:14
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Application Process!

Post by glennm » 20 May 2020, 21:35

Thanks so much Sébastien and everyone for your priceless insights on the UN recruitment process. I have a question regarding an EOI which was sent to me.

Sometime in March, I was e-mailed an EOI asking for my availability for a 6 months consultancy with WFP. I was asked to send my availability which I quickly did (same day). I was informed that they are putting together information and "aim to get back to me shortly". It's been two months since the EOI was sent. I'm nervous and I keep checking my e-mails for any information. I wrote to them about a month ago and no response. I wanted to find out if anyone had received an EOI and what to expect. I've tried to get information on EOI nothing. Is this type of delay (2 months) normal?

NB: I didn't apply to any EOI, they said they got my profile from a roster to which I applied and was included.

bmoi
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Jan 2020, 20:12
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Application Process!

Post by bmoi » 22 May 2020, 14:37

Hi everyone

Could someone please help, i was invited for written assesment with UNMISS. On their online platform it stated that i would have 48hours test window to complete the test which is fine.

The catch is their online platform gave the wrong dates. It indicated that the test should be completed between Thursday 20 and Saturday 22. While infact the correct dates to complete were from 1am Wednesday 20 to close Friday 22 at 1am new york time. I had prepared myself to write it on Friday and i found the test had already closed.

I have tried to get in contact with them, but there are no phone numbers nor an email address. The email they sent the invitation is a no reply address.

Can anyone advice on what i can do or how to get in contact with them.

Do you guys think they will let me write the test at another time or is it a missed opportunity😭😭

H.O.P
Posts: 159
Joined: 21 Sep 2018, 11:51
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: Application Process!

Post by H.O.P » 22 May 2020, 15:02

bmoi wrote:
22 May 2020, 14:37
Hi everyone

Could someone please help, i was invited for written assesment with UNMISS. On their online platform it stated that i would have 48hours test window to complete the test which is fine.

The catch is their online platform gave the wrong dates. It indicated that the test should be completed between Thursday 20 and Saturday 22. While infact the correct dates to complete were from 1am Wednesday 20 to close Friday 22 at 1am new york time. I had prepared myself to write it on Friday and i found the test had already closed.

I have tried to get in contact with them, but there are no phone numbers nor an email address. The email they sent the invitation is a no reply address.

Can anyone advice on what i can do or how to get in contact with them.

Do you guys think they will let me write the test at another time or is it a missed opportunity😭😭
Probably time was local time and not New York time. Also, HR usually first contacts you before sending you an email with test link, you should use that contact to reach them. The HR staff who first told you about been shortlisted and invited for a test.

bmoi
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Jan 2020, 20:12
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Application Process!

Post by bmoi » 22 May 2020, 15:41

Hi HOP

Thanks for your response but perhaps i should rephrase what i am trying to ask:
UNMISS invites candidates to write tests on the UN examinations and tests system. In which they sent 3 emails with a no-reply address, these emails contained username and password to log on to the system they also contained general instructions about the system and test.

When i logged on to the system it indicated the test will be written between 20 May Thursday and 22 May Saturday. This was an error because in actual 20 May is a Wednesday and 22 May is Friday.

Now i thought i had to complete the test between Thursday and Saturday. I had mentally prepared myself to write on Friday. But because of date misinformation by the time i attempted the test it was already closed.

Its not about the time differences but wrong dates that mislead me. I hope this makes more sense and you may be able to assist further. As i mentioned above these emails were sent from a no reply UN email address. I have written UN tests before but this would have been my first time using this system. So i am still not sure how to reach them.

Thanks

H.O.P
Posts: 159
Joined: 21 Sep 2018, 11:51
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: Application Process!

Post by H.O.P » 22 May 2020, 21:49

I have written an UNMISS test before. But I was first contacted by a HR personnel who usually tell you you’ve been shortlisted for a test. Later an email with test links are sent. You mean you were not contacted before hand by any HR email/personnel? This is the only way you can tell them about the issue.

bmoi
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Jan 2020, 20:12
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Application Process!

Post by bmoi » 23 May 2020, 00:21

They sent the test link 1st then an invitation email and lastly an email that i acknowldge the test link and invitation. All 3 emails came from no reply. Its strange how the whole process was including the mistakes. And i doubt its a scam because it is a job i applied for on inspira.

I have found some contacts and sent emails to people who i think can assist and will also try making some calls on Monday, so il keep fighting for a chance. If i am unable, then sadly it is an opportunity waisted on small mistakes.

Thanks for your assistance HOP.

H.O.P
Posts: 159
Joined: 21 Sep 2018, 11:51
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 75 times

Re: Application Process!

Post by H.O.P » 23 May 2020, 13:15

bmoi wrote:
23 May 2020, 00:21
They sent the test link 1st then an invitation email and lastly an email that i acknowldge the test link and invitation. All 3 emails came from no reply. Its strange how the whole process was including the mistakes. And i doubt its a scam because it is a job i applied for on inspira.

I have found some contacts and sent emails to people who i think can assist and will also try making some calls on Monday, so il keep fighting for a chance. If i am unable, then sadly it is an opportunity waisted on small mistakes.

Thanks for your assistance HOP.
No problem. I hope you get some positive results. Good luck.

Mer
Posts: 7
Joined: 03 Oct 2019, 20:50
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Application Process!

Post by Mer » 26 May 2020, 19:32

Mer wrote:
14 May 2020, 14:18
Mer wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 15:01
Hello everyone,

Here is my experience so far with my applications. I have started to apply in September 2019, I have made a total of 37 applications. I only apply for positions within my area of expertise and for which I answer ALL of the qualifications (mostly p3-p4). I am a woman, I speak fluently 2 UN languages and I am functional in a 3rd, I think this could be added advantages on top of everything else.

Out of these 37 applications, 13 were completed by roster (!), 1 was canceled and 4 are 'completed'. Out of the 19 left, I only consider 13 to be still active possibilities (job closed less than 2 months ago).

Out of those 13 'active' applications, I was invited to a written exam. I applied in January, the job closed at the beginning of February. I received an email invitation to a written test online using the UN Exam website beginning of April and I completed the exam the second week of April right before the Easter holiday. I am now waiting to see if I make it to the interview stage!

The exam itself was hard (1 question, essay-type answer, 1h to complete). Apart from knowing your field (you are supposed to be an expert after all!) you really need to read extensively on the work accomplished by the agency for which you applied to (which I did). Overall, I think I performed really well, I answered the question thoroughly and even had time to review. I would be surprised if I don't make it to the next stage, but one can never be sure.

I'm in the second week of waiting and I hope I get some news this week or the next. I was told by friends at the UN that the post-exam invitation to the interview should take 1-3 weeks usually. They told me that the coronavirus crisis might make things longer or faster, depending on the agency. Fingers crossed.

I will let you know if I get to that stage,

Cheers.
Did get an interview invitation 5 weeks after the completion of the written test. Very excited!
The interview was completed last week. It went very well, lasted about 1h. Questions about how I handled similar projects as the one I applied for and also questions about being a woman in a male-dominated field. I feel very confident about the interview, good rapport with the panel (3 interviewers + 1 admin). Made them laugh a few times which is always a winning strategy. At the very end before hanging up they asked me when I could start if I am selected, which must be a good sign as well. I was told that I would hear back from HR in 1-2 months.

A friend working in the same agency told me that 3 weeks is also possible because since everyone is working from home, these processes are now much quicker than usual.

Will post if I get an offer letter.
Fingers crossed!

Post Reply