Post-written exam feedback- Is this normal what I had just experience?

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
giselle2175

Post-written exam feedback- Is this normal what I had just experience?

Post by giselle2175 » 16 Oct 2019, 16:06

Hi all,

I just took a written assessment test for a programme officer position at Capacity Development and Operational Training Service in NYC. I am writing this personal feedback to get an understanding on whether what I had just witnessed, while taking the xame, is normal/ethical.

The written exam was scheduled on 10/16 at 9:00 a.m. but didn't start until 9:20ish because it was sent late. However, when the questions were sent they ended up cc all the 47 candidates instead of using BCC. We only had 1 hour to finish and lo and behold after 1 hour everybody was sending their responses by replaying to "ALL". I think this is a security breach because I now know my competitors ( more than some work for the UN), I saw their responses (even though i have already sent mine 2 minutes prior). I just thought this was really strange but can someone shed some light on this.

Thanks,
Giselle

finsalscollons

Re: Post-written exam feedback- Is this normal what I had just experience?

Post by finsalscollons » 17 Oct 2019, 03:45

I am positive that it is a mistake. They always send this kind of communications in a BCC field. I remember receiving communications in a CC field once. It was about 12 years ago and this kind of mistake has not been repeated for me since then.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 17 Oct 2019, 09:31

giselle2175 wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 16:06
Hi all,

I just took a written assessment test for a programme officer position at Capacity Development and Operational Training Service in NYC. I am writing this personal feedback to get an understanding on whether what I had just witnessed, while taking the xame, is normal/ethical.

The written exam was scheduled on 10/16 at 9:00 a.m. but didn't start until 9:20ish because it was sent late. However, when the questions were sent they ended up cc all the 47 candidates instead of using BCC. We only had 1 hour to finish and lo and behold after 1 hour everybody was sending their responses by replaying to "ALL". I think this is a security breach because I now know my competitors ( more than some work for the UN), I saw their responses (even though i have already sent mine 2 minutes prior). I just thought this was really strange but can someone shed some light on this.

Thanks,
Giselle
I think there's nothing wrong in copying everyone who is supposed to get the questions all at once (this has happened to me), it saves time and no one is left out especially if it involves quite a number of people. Now, the onus lies on the candidate to do a BCC when sending back their replies (as this will also prove your computer skills). I see people do this quite often in email. In a recruitment process that I went through recently, all necessary information is sent to all candidates, but it is left for you to send a response to the office alone and not just blindly click on the reply-all button. I always get pissed when I receive emails not meant for me because people forget just to use only the "Reply" button.

finsalscollons

Post by finsalscollons » 17 Oct 2019, 17:39

I do think there is something wrong: you are not supposed to know who your competitors are. If you have their email addresses, you can find who some of them are. This is why BCC is usually employed. Putting the addresses in CC does not save time, because BCC is equally fast.

giselle2175

Post by giselle2175 » 17 Oct 2019, 20:53

Thank you and an HR colleague confirmed to me that it is actually unethical but what is more surprising is that the exam was not conducted via an online submission test due to high volume of candidates. Besides, we are now trolling each other on linkedin!

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 18 Oct 2019, 07:04

finsalscollons wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 17:39
I do think there is something wrong: you are not supposed to know who your competitors are. If you have their email addresses, you can find who some of them are. This is why BCC is usually employed. Putting the addresses in CC does not save time, because BCC is equally fast.
Who goes to start checking up on their competitors in an exam? Anyway, this is just my opinion, the problem is in when sending replies and you CC everyone.

finsalscollons

Post by finsalscollons » 21 Oct 2019, 15:27

Who goes to start checking up on their competitors in an exam? Anyway, this is just my opinion, the problem is in when sending replies and you CC everyone.
It is not about your opinion, my opinion or about who goes to start checking up competitors. It is about the privacy of the selection process in the United Nations, which is extreme. It is about the facts, not opinions, not rhetorical questions, not about whether this could be harmful or other considerations.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 21 Oct 2019, 16:59

finsalscollons wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 15:27
It is not about your opinion, my opinion or about who goes to start checking up competitors. It is about the privacy of the selection process in the United Nations, which is extreme. It is about the facts, not opinions, not rhetorical questions, not about whether this could be harmful or other considerations.
I don't think it is a privacy breach as no confidential information has been passed. The competition is supposed to be open.