Medical clearance

Things to know before you start applying to jobs in the United Nations. Also, other tips and tricks, common pitfalls and place to discuss employment scams.
H.O.P
Posts: 142
Joined: 21 Sep 2018, 11:51
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: Medical clearance

Post by H.O.P » 21 Oct 2018, 09:32

Sebastian wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 07:42
There are different versions of medical clearances: a UN staff contract requires a questionnaire, extensive tests by a UN appointed Doctor, UN medical services being involved etc. Other contracts can be just a note from your local doc that you are fit for work...
Sebastian as an IUNV it is the process you described for UN Staff contracts that I did. I filled a questionnaire and then asked to go to a doctor with the UN Entry Medical Form which I returned later to a UN Medical Doctor/Medical Service in Geneva. They are the ones who approved my clearance.

Starbuck
Posts: 16
Joined: 06 Aug 2018, 09:14
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Medical clearance

Post by Starbuck » 22 Oct 2018, 21:31

H.O.P. my clearance went very much like yours. You were right about timeline too, it took a week.

mdr
Posts: 66
Joined: 12 Sep 2018, 12:08
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: Medical clearance

Post by mdr » 29 Oct 2018, 14:02

H.O.P wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 14:57

Actually, I just received my medical clearance and it consists of a series of test. They will typically give you a form called "the Entry Medical Examination Form". It is used by all UN Offices and Agencies (on top of the form has all the names of the organisations). You will fill out the part first 2 pages with your medical information and then take the 3 and 4th pages to your doctor, who will direct you on what tests to do and then you send back the form to them. A UN Medical Officer will then review it and then give you clearance if you meet their standard. Of course, you will receive a reimbursement as part of your pre-entry payment that is usually paid.
I got the same form as well. I went to a private hospital to get quicker results (in the case of my country). My on-boarding process may differ from other agencies though (mine is with the FAO) as the medical clearance was along with 12 other tasks I needed to complete which included a bunch of forms and 2 mandatory UN security training to be completed by a certain date. I was given a little over 2 weeks to upload everything onto Taleo. After the deadline, I received a response a day after confirming my on-boarding process is complete and to commence visa and travel plans next.

H.O.P
Posts: 142
Joined: 21 Sep 2018, 11:51
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: Medical clearance

Post by H.O.P » 29 Oct 2018, 16:29

mdr wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 14:02
H.O.P wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 14:57

Actually, I just received my medical clearance and it consists of a series of test. They will typically give you a form called "the Entry Medical Examination Form". It is used by all UN Offices and Agencies (on top of the form has all the names of the organisations). You will fill out the part first 2 pages with your medical information and then take the 3 and 4th pages to your doctor, who will direct you on what tests to do and then you send back the form to them. A UN Medical Officer will then review it and then give you clearance if you meet their standard. Of course, you will receive a reimbursement as part of your pre-entry payment that is usually paid.
I got the same form as well. I went to a private hospital to get quicker results (in the case of my country). My on-boarding process may differ from other agencies though (mine is with the FAO) as the medical clearance was along with 12 other tasks I needed to complete which included a bunch of forms and 2 mandatory UN security training to be completed by a certain date. I was given a little over 2 weeks to upload everything onto Taleo. After the deadline, I received a response a day after confirming my on-boarding process is complete and to commence visa and travel plans next.
Exactly! That's how mine went too. I also did those courses from a course on prevention of harassment. Now, I am waiting for my visa. I haven't received it yet. It's been 2 weeks they started processing it.

mdr
Posts: 66
Joined: 12 Sep 2018, 12:08
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 38 times

Re: Medical clearance

Post by mdr » 30 Oct 2018, 14:34

H.O.P wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 16:29

Exactly! That's how mine went too. I also did those courses from a course on prevention of harassment. Now, I am waiting for my visa. I haven't received it yet. It's been 2 weeks they started processing it.
They gave me a bit of time to upload my travel authorization form and the duty station hasn't contacted me yet about visa but I reckon most of everything will be done throughout November. How are you finding the process so far? Someone has told me it's fast but to me, the pace is more steady instead and it's always reassuring when I hear back from HR about each milestone. It's mostly been a month gap between each major update for me but to complete the whole recruitment process from start to finish would be around 9-10 months, I reckon.

H.O.P
Posts: 142
Joined: 21 Sep 2018, 11:51
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: Medical clearance

Post by H.O.P » 30 Oct 2018, 16:07

mdr wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 14:34
H.O.P wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 16:29

Exactly! That's how mine went too. I also did those courses from a course on prevention of harassment. Now, I am waiting for my visa. I haven't received it yet. It's been 2 weeks they started processing it.
They gave me a bit of time to upload my travel authorization form and the duty station hasn't contacted me yet about visa but I reckon most of everything will be done throughout November. How are you finding the process so far? Someone has told me it's fast but to me, the pace is more steady instead and it's always reassuring when I hear back from HR about each milestone. It's mostly been a month gap between each major update for me but to complete the whole recruitment process from start to finish would be around 9-10 months, I reckon.
For me, it is slower than I thought. My first contact was in May when I got longlisted and up till this month, I am not done. I was hoping I could resume early November (so my contracting will be ending before the end of next year) but, we the way things are going I am beginning to doubt this. Moreover, I definitely do not favour a December start date, but, it is looking like that's what it could be. Right now everything is in the hands of the host government to approve the application (according to my recent follow-up with them). I can only keep waiting, I have come this far anyway.

Free.one
Posts: 1
Joined: 01 Aug 2019, 14:34

Re: Medical clearance

Post by Free.one » 01 Aug 2019, 18:49

Dear friends
I was offered a job in one of the UN agencies, they sent me an application for medical test It contain ASAT, Gamma TA and ALAT while I check in google for the UN medical test It doesnt contain such test.

Please advise.

User avatar
Sebastian
Posts: 309
Joined: 19 Jul 2018, 08:33
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Medical clearance

Post by Sebastian » 15 Aug 2019, 13:31

Free.one wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 18:49
Dear friends
I was offered a job in one of the UN agencies, they sent me an application for medical test It contain ASAT, Gamma TA and ALAT while I check in google for the UN medical test It doesnt contain such test.

Please advise.
Where did you apply to the job? Which agency? Watch out for unsolicited invitations to tests etc. they are typically scams.
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

Ahmed Moneus
Posts: 5
Joined: 30 Jul 2019, 08:52

Re: Medical clearance

Post by Ahmed Moneus » 25 Sep 2019, 15:24

I filled in a medical clearance questionnaire 14 days till now no answer or reply
What could I do is it normal to take this long time

UN linguist
Posts: 25
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 13:21
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Medical clearance

Post by UN linguist » 03 Nov 2019, 16:58

Going back a good few years now, mine was surprisingly thorough (including the infamous syphilis question!) and because it was done by a doctor in a language other than English (although it was one of the other official languages of the UN) I had to have it translated and certified as a true and accurate translation of the original. I got round that by doing the translation myself, then getting someone at work (I was working for the European Union at the time) to sign and stamp it for me. I didn't have to pay for the tests or the doctor's consultation, as it was covered by the regional health service where I was living, but if I had had to pay for it, the UN would have reimbursed the cost up to what in Europe would have covered the full cost, although in the US it probably wouldn't have.

Incidentally, once you are in the system, you used to have to have a medical once every two years to check that you were still alive and able to work every hour that God sent, but that requirement has now been done away with, presumably on grounds of cost. However, we still have to have medical clearance before going on mission. It's done through an online application and if you can answer what the algorithm wants you to answer, you are automatically cleared. If you can't, you have to see one of the UN doctors at the Joint Medical Service at your duty station and talk them through why you take the medication that you do, what surgery you have had recently, why you answered a particular question in the way that you did and so on, and if they are happy with that, they sign you off and you have your medical clearance.

Post Reply