Spouse definition

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
Nijalou

Spouse definition

Post by Nijalou » 08 Jan 2020, 14:49

I would like to obtain more information about spouse definition.

I found this defintion in the UNDP's "HRM allowances and benefits dependency allowances" :
"Basis for determining marital status

6. UNDP recognizes as a staff member's spouse any person who is lawfully married to him or her.

7. UNDP also recognizes legally recognized domestic partnerships, common law marriages and similar unions between a staff member and spouse that has been validated in reference to the law of the competent authority under which the personal status has been established, as per ST/SGB/2004/13/Rev 1.

8. UNDP’s acceptance of a person as a ‘spouse’ will not, in any case (common law or another form of union or partnership), preclude further review should a question of an existing prior marriage arise at any time. Nor will it conclusively determine the rights of competing claimants to entitlements as surviving spouses under UN or United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF) Rules and Regulations. "
I would like to know if a relationship wih a boy/girlfriend or life partner (without being lawfully recognized) could be considered as a marital status.

Jannu

Re: Spouse definition

Post by Jannu » 19 Feb 2020, 07:44

I think easiest way is that you got some legal documentation about your relationship.
Any way I have been living years in domestic partnership or common law marriage and in my country there is no simple legal definition to this and it varies in different situations and there is no way to get legal document or registry entry that you are having this kind of relationship. When I was working in UN I had to request explanation from my embassy about my relationship and that was given to UN to approve benefits about my spouse.

So if your relationship is considered as domestic partnership or common law marriage in your country UN should approve this.

Nijalou

Re: Spouse definition

Post by Nijalou » 26 Feb 2020, 09:41

Thank you very much for this answer !