UN Volunteering

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
F.M.

UN Volunteering

Post by F.M. » 21 Sep 2018, 09:25

Hello!

I am new to this community and I have some questions regarding UNV programme.

I have received an assignement proposal and the HR in Bonn, Germany, wrote an email stating that they were going to share my profile and other candidates ones to the duty station (DRC). I would like to know the likelihood to be selected once someone receives an assignement proposal and the timing of the process.

I have applied for the special call on 14-AUG, received the assignement proposal on 14-SEPT and no further communications since then.

Thank you very much in advance. UN world and procedures are quite difficoult to grasp for somebody coming from highly competitive and fast industries in the private-sector.

H.O.P

Re: UN Volunteering

Post by H.O.P » 21 Sep 2018, 12:05

I have just undergone this process like you. For UNV, the assignment proposal is like long listing after which the office in DRC your profile will be sent to will do a shortlist. If you are shortlisted, it will be the office in DRC that will contact you. This shortlisting could take anywhere between 2-4 weeks or more. Depending on the hiring manager and when the names were forwarded by the UNV office in Bonn. If you are not shortlisted, you will receive a rejection email after about a month.
In my case, I got proposed for Botswana, but was never shortlisted and received a rejection email after one month. I was again proposed for South Sudan in late May, I got shortlisted in middle of June and interviewed late June. I am just hearing back from them since the interview date and I've now proceeded to the next step of the recruitment process (reference checking and next should be the medical test).
You will need some patience though. It can be frustrating but just hold on and read people's opinion and suggestions on this platform.

F.M.

Post by F.M. » 21 Sep 2018, 12:18

Hello H.O.P. !

Thank you very much for the information. It's quite bizarre such a long recruiting process, I feel that a lot of good candidates are lost because of that

Well, let's hope they will get in touch soon. Do you advice to send a follow-up mail to Bonn in order to get some more information regarding the status of the recruitment?

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 21 Sep 2018, 12:48

F.M. wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 12:18
Hello H.O.P. !

Thank you very much for the information. It's quite bizarre such a long recruiting process, I feel that a lot of good candidates are lost because of that

Well, let's hope they will get in touch soon. Do you advice to send a follow-up mail to Bonn in order to get some more information regarding the status of the recruitment?
Hi F.M,

I actually never followed up with UNV in Bonn. I only wrote a follow-up after my interview with the recruitment office in South Sudan after 4 weeks post-interview and I got no reply from them. Since it is the recruitment office (in your case the office in DRC) that will be responsible for the shortlisting, I am afraid the UNV in Bonn may not be able to provide tangible information for you. The office in DRC should be the one contacting you if you're shortlisted. I do think you should wait a bit more. You've only just been contacted a week ago. Give it 1-2 more weeks and see.
For me, UNV has only contacted me twice. Firstly, during the longlisting phase and secondly, after I have been chosen as the candidate post interview. From what I understand, the job of UNV in Bonn is mainly administrative. They do not do the actual hiring (they handle the hiring process but don't decide on candidates). Good luck as you wait.

F.M.

Post by F.M. » 21 Sep 2018, 13:16

Hi F.M,

I actually never followed up with UNV in Bonn. I only wrote a follow-up after my interview with the recruitment office in South Sudan after 4 weeks post-interview and I got no reply from them. Since it is the recruitment office (in your case the office in DRC) that will be responsible for the shortlisting, I am afraid the UNV in Bonn may not be able to provide tangible information for you. The office in DRC should be the one contacting you if you're shortlisted. I do think you should wait a bit more. You've only just been contacted a week ago. Give it 1-2 more weeks and see.
For me, UNV has only contacted me twice. Firstly, during the longlisting phase and secondly, after I have been chosen as the candidate post interview. From what I understand, the job of UNV in Bonn is mainly administrative. They do not do the actual hiring (they handle the hiring process but don't decide on candidates). Good luck as you wait.
Thank you very much for the information.

It's definitely DRC office that halndes the recruiting process, but I do not have their contacts.

However, it's almost impossible to me to wait such a very long time because I am in the process of changing job and then I do not want to leave the new one after just few months. That's what I find troublesome in UN process.

Well, thank you again and let's hope I'll receive some news soon. In any case I will try to contact Bonn after 2 weeks from the proposal asking whether they do have information from DRC.

It's funny that I might be something like 5 km from UN's office in DRC when they'll give me the answer.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 21 Sep 2018, 14:15

F.M. wrote:
21 Sep 2018, 13:16

Hi F.M,

Thank you very much for the information.

It's definitely DRC office that halndes the recruiting process, but I do not have their contacts.

However, it's almost impossible to me to wait such a very long time because I am in the process of changing job and then I do not want to leave the new one after just few months. That's what I find troublesome in UN process.

Well, thank you again and let's hope I'll receive some news soon. In any case I will try to contact Bonn after 2 weeks from the proposal asking whether they do have information from DRC.

It's funny that I might be something like 5 km from UN's office in DRC when they'll give me the answer.

I do understand. Unfortunately, the UN process is so slow. Even at my current stage they still asked me not to resign yet because only pending the success of my medical clearance will they offer a contract. So, here I am still not taking major decisions and still waiting for them.

F.M.

Post by F.M. » 21 Sep 2018, 14:21

May I ask you in what "Reference Check" consists?

I am somehow concerned because... Well, you know, they call your boss and you get fired in 5 minutes from your job. At the same time I wouldn't like to 'use' older references.

In private sector, 90% of future employers gladly accept wide ranges of colleagues/clients/collaborators instead of supervisors, knowing that companies always have a finger on the trigger.

It's another aspect that keeps many UN opportunities strictly bounded to people already in the system or in similar agencies. I mean, especially if you work in really competitive sectors, you cannot throw away your current job place because somebody wants to speak with your boss before actually making an offer.

In the mail I have received from UNV they demanded to keep references up-to-date and I have an older one that should work perfectly, but, still, I find little sense in this specific procedure.

F.M.

Post by F.M. » 21 Sep 2018, 14:25

Little precisation. I'm not just complaining, I really want to grasp what are UN processes since most of them appear extremely weird to me.

starryhindsight

Post by starryhindsight » 21 Sep 2018, 14:46

I also recently interviewed for a IUNV position on 6 September. Two days later, they wrote me back asking for specific information such as my university degree, date of graduation, courses etc.

And meanwhile I am still waiting for the interview results and after following up, I realize my UNV contact person is currently on vacation until October.

I assume it's best for me to wait, but keep positive.

F.M.

Post by F.M. » 21 Sep 2018, 15:02

Yes, thank you very much for the reply!

Dealing with UN processes (not only for this opportunity) I feel like somebody used to Tinder trying to seduce a XIX aristocratic girl :D :D :D :D :D