Reference Checking

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
naturead

Re: Reference Checking

Post by naturead » 11 Jun 2019, 14:02

Hi, How long it took to get offere after reference check??

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter » 12 Jun 2019, 04:36

naturead wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 14:02
Hi, How long it took to get offere after reference check??
Hi, for my case i got the offer 2 days after completion of reference check.

margarita29

Post by margarita29 » 12 Jun 2019, 18:32

Hi cd, did they reach out to your references?

Sierra

Post by Sierra » 17 Jun 2019, 03:05

mdr wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 15:01
Thought I'd share my experience with the reference checking at the FAO for the benefit of Will and others who are interested.

Like Will, I was requested for 3 references about a month after the 2nd interview. However, I received the email of appointment a month after that and my references had not been contacted which I thought was strange. I even thought maybe they had skipped the process entirely. I did ask someone from the UN whether the references made a difference and she told me it didn't (at least not to the UN org she's in). She just mentioned how it's just the organisation's way of double-checking the candidate whom they had already decided on beforehand. The process only began after I had accepted the electronic offer on Taleo. Only 2 of the 3 references informed me about it. They had to fill out a form and submit by email (done pretty much as soon as they got it). I'm not sure if the FAO had contacted a 3rd. I checked with my last employer and he told me he wasn't contacted while another reference I had in mind (my UN internship supervisor) has not replied to any of my own emails (even before the application process).

Here's the thing- the references they did contact were both from my short-term contracts. Both are from the UN. I'm not sure if this is relevant.. Well, I certainly would have thought my last previous employer would have been at the top of the list but perhaps they thought for the relevance of the position, they'd rather check in with fellow UN employees? In any case, I have already started my on-boarding process.

Btw, thought this may be useful https://www.unjiu.org/sites/www.unjiu.o ... nglish.pdf It's from 2013 so information may be outdated. According to the report, the FAO conducts their reference by phone call which wasn't the case with mine. Skip to the Annex 1 on page 30 for the table. And this one may be helpful too: http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/pu ... 021833.pdf
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience.
Please I have an inquiry. I just received an email from FAO to confirm my authirization to reach my referees and I was wondering if they reach out also to HR Unit of my current organization! Did they contact HR also for your case!
I am also wondering if the reference checking form is is focused On the referee’s job and responsibilities since I provided my second supervisor. My firt supervisor will not be on good terms with me if he jnows that I am leaving...so I do not want him to know before I confirm getting the job.
Did they ask for employment record ( certificates...) frat the reference check stage or they sent a separate email asking candidate confirmation first? And do they collect certificates from the candidate oersonnally or ask HR division to forward them?

Thank you!

mdr

Post by mdr » 19 Jun 2019, 23:14

Sierra wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 03:05

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience.
Please I have an inquiry. I just received an email from FAO to confirm my authirization to reach my referees and I was wondering if they reach out also to HR Unit of my current organization! Did they contact HR also for your case!
I am also wondering if the reference checking form is is focused On the referee’s job and responsibilities since I provided my second supervisor. My firt supervisor will not be on good terms with me if he jnows that I am leaving...so I do not want him to know before I confirm getting the job.
Did they ask for employment record ( certificates...) frat the reference check stage or they sent a separate email asking candidate confirmation first? And do they collect certificates from the candidate oersonnally or ask HR division to forward them?

Thank you!
They will only reach out to whichever contact you gave for reference. They contacted my references directly and not through HR. I didn't have a choice on who they should inquire though and as I shared before, I was surprised my last employer wasn't contacted at all. I believe there was an option in the application where you can decide whether you want your current employer to be contacted. As for certificates, they only asked for digital copies of my academic records right after I did my 1st interview. Mine was for an international/Professional recruitment though so I did my interviews online, etc so I didn't need to provide physical copies of any documents they requested including my medical form, signed contract, etc and instead was directed to upload them online on Taleo.

naturead

Post by naturead » 06 Jul 2019, 13:37

margarita29 wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 18:32
Hi cd, did they reach out to your references?
Yes they did on 30 May 2019. Till date I am not hearing from them.

anneyang

Post by anneyang » 12 Jul 2019, 08:37

Dear all,
Anyone applied for FAO JPO in 2019? I participated in the interview in 1st April and conducted reference check in 14 June, however,I never hear back from HR till now. Is that possible someone is already selected for that position and I am not the first one on the list?

anneyang

Post by anneyang » 17 Jul 2019, 09:52

Dear all,

I applied for FAO JPO this year and then received an email from FAO to confirm my authirization to reach my referees on 14 June after interview. Does anyone receive any email,such as offer or roster invitation ,from HR till now? It is a long time to wait for the result.

freddymourad

Post by freddymourad » 17 Aug 2019, 17:18

Sebastian wrote:
23 Sep 2018, 08:49
Alright, let's collect a few practices around reference checking in this thread here. A few considerations to start with: Typically the point of checking references is at the last step in the recruitment process (before a process review and contract issuance). At this time, you can't "win" the process but you could potentially "lose" the process.
I think the overall idea in UN recruitments is that you need to prove yourself by mastering tests, interviews, case studies etc. But of course there are certain things that you could not check in such a process. So in my mind the reference checking process is mainly to check that there are no red-flags that need to be investigated further. This is not just theory: the UN of course needs to protect itself from folks that don't mean well and the SG himself is driving the focus very clearly, too.

So what does this all mean for references? There are two ways references are collected: verbally and with a form. Make sure you provide names of folks that can be reached and people that know about your professionalism and conduct. I think it is ok to give references that are not your current supervisor but be prepared that sometimes they want to talk to your current supervisor, too. However, they would of course understand what this means to your current job, so I think there is a notion to be flexible/sensible in this regard.

What are your experiences out there? What references were you asked to provide? What did people say?

Hey Sebastian! I applied for a Senior Resettlement Assistant position (G5) at UNHCR but through a UNOPS contract. I was informed by my references that they were contacted a week ago. I checked on a lot of Websites that UNHCR only reaches out to the references of the selected candidate whereas UNOPS contacts references of all recommended candidates. Keeping in mind that we were 10 at the written test stage and 4 at the oral interview stage, what do you think are my chances of getting the job? and would I be considered a UNOPS or UNHCR candidate?

Fleurdunil

Post by Fleurdunil » 29 Aug 2019, 11:59

Hi all,

I applied for a P3 post with WFP at the end of May. I got contacted 1 August to do a video interview which I did on 11 August, then I got contacted ten days later to do a skype for a business interview with the hiring manager and panel. I did that this Tuesday, on Wednesday (next day) they e-mailed me that they could not confirm anything in the process yet but they needed 2-3 references who I worked with in the past. I immediately provided 3 strong references that could describe my ability to do various aspects of the the task. So far this is sounding pretty good, is it possible that I get a rejection though?