You're not alone

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
jane27

You're not alone

Post by jane27 » 28 Feb 2020, 07:44

Hi, everyone! I’d like to share with you my success story to inspire you to never give up on your dream.

For many years, I’ve been getting a lot of questions from friends, acquaintances and even strangers on how to apply for a job in the UN and what’s my route in getting my dream job.

▪ I started my career in the UN at the age of 24. For 11 years now, I’ve worked in 4 countries and 3 continents.
▪ It’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience that’s far beyond my wildest dreams and imagination. I can say my life and perspective on life and of the world have never been the same.
▪ I was able to achieve my career and financial goals, got to travel frequently around the world (40 countries and counting), and gained colleagues and friends from all over the globe.
▪ Most of all, it’s the kind of job I love doing while serving a purpose bigger than myself - to make a difference and serve the needs of the world in promoting peace.

But before this, I got a number of rejections in my job applications and I didn’t know exactly why.

It was a long, tedious and painful process and a rollercoaster of emotions, to say the least!

From zero feedback, then getting shortlisted, anxiously refreshing my inbox just to see any glimmer of hope, then a “black hole”.

I almost gave up on my dream job. Almost…

And when I got to work for the UN, I observed a lot of competent job applicants who unfortunately did not make the cut.

It’s not just because of the highly competitive recruitment process.

It’s mostly because of mistakes that could’ve been avoided or corrected in the first place.

That’s why now I want to encourage professionals here, who are highly motivated, passionate and committed, to never give up on your career goals.

I also want to tell you that the path to the UN may be long and difficult but not impossible. That’s based on my personal experience and awareness in recruitment.

So I thought about sharing my knowledge in a training (no cost) to a small group of 10 to 20 people.

I’ll be providing key principles, practical tips and lessons based on real-life examples to help you get your foot in the door and lead you to your dream career.

Are you any one of these?
▪ You’ve been applying for so many job vacancies in the UN and you felt like no one wants to take you.
▪ You’ve already lodged tens, hundreds of applications, but the biggest problem is to even get a single feedback.
▪ Or perhaps you’ve started to feel you’re not competent enough that you should give up the idea of applying for a UN job.

I felt the same way you did. You’re not alone.

I would love to help you out!

Please let me know here.

Wishing you all the best in your applications!
“Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” - Howard Thurman

H.O.P

Re: You're not alone

Post by H.O.P » 28 Feb 2020, 09:14

This is good Jane. I will be interested in any tips you would like to offer. I generally know how the UN system works (I have been in it), but no knowledge is too much (especially with the UN, all tips are important), moreover, I am interested in getting something more steady at this stage.

ontogenez

Post by ontogenez » 28 Feb 2020, 13:42

Great!
jane27 wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 07:44

So I thought about sharing my knowledge in a training (no cost) to a small group of 10 to 20 people.
What is the point of limiting yourself to a gang of 20?

Just posting in this thread could make a huge impact that would last until this forum is up, without concealing your knowledge from the public.

I'd appreciate if you could share your insights and hints here. If anyone is interested in roasting his/her application (anonymized), it might be interesting for most of the forum users to see your analysis of the potholes in CVs as well.

Nathanson

Post by Nathanson » 28 Feb 2020, 14:32

Thanks for the encouragement Jane!

I have done four competency interviews, the last one in December for a P.3 Auditor Job that I felt went well. Yesterday I received a regret letter and my world crumbled on me, not even a roster opportunity.

I have another CBI on Tuesday and have been trying to drag myself up so as to prepare for it.

I have good qualifications and experiences in various business disciplines so I normally get shortlisted. I also pass all the written exams but the CBI are becoming a hard nut for me to crack.

But am keeping my hope alive.

Thanks again Jane for the encouragement

Nathan

jane27

Post by jane27 » 28 Feb 2020, 15:16

H.O.P wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 09:14
This is good Jane. I will be interested in any tips you would like to offer. I generally know how the UN system works (I have been in it), but no knowledge is too much (especially with the UN, all tips are important), moreover, I am interested in getting something more steady at this stage.
Hi! Glad to be of help. I also agree on what you've said :) I'll send a link to your inbox.
“Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” - Howard Thurman

Papa

Post by Papa » 28 Feb 2020, 17:45

Thanks a lot Jane for the positive vibes. I have done more than 150 application did 9 written assessment test. But that the furthest I went. But in 2018 I got an UNV position for about 11 months and was able to travel to 9 countries. But that was it, I am hopeful something positive will come out soon. I got in the system and got a few tips how things works.
Beyond that, I would love to hear from you....Thanks in advance.

H.O.P

Post by H.O.P » 28 Feb 2020, 20:43

jane27 wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 15:16
H.O.P wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 09:14
Hi! Glad to be of help. I also agree on what you've said :) I'll send a link to your inbox.
Seen and filled. :)

glennm

Post by glennm » 28 Feb 2020, 21:39

Hi Jane,
This is great and thank you for sharing your story. I will interested in the tips and insights that you have to share.

jane27

Post by jane27 » 29 Feb 2020, 02:43

Papa wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 17:45
Thanks a lot Jane for the positive vibes. I have done more than 150 application did 9 written assessment test. But that the furthest I went. But in 2018 I got an UNV position for about 11 months and was able to travel to 9 countries. But that was it, I am hopeful something positive will come out soon. I got in the system and got a few tips how things works.
Beyond that, I would love to hear from you....Thanks in advance.
Thanks for sharing your story, too! I first started as a UNV and even got to travel around Europe because my duty station was in Kosovo. I've sent you the link. And yes, don't give up!

jane27

Post by jane27 » 29 Feb 2020, 02:47

glennm wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 21:39
Hi Jane,
This is great and thank you for sharing your story. I will interested in the tips and insights that you have to share.
Hi, Glenn! Your profile and skills are absolutely in demand and critical in any organization. There are a lot of opportunities out there for you, so I hope you keep on applying. Sent you the link. I'll keep you posted!