Offer Letter

A place to discuss working at the United Nations from day to day conditions, benefits, entitlements, relations with the host country, social security, taxes - everything about the job, once you got the job!
mdr

Offer Letter

Post by mdr » 01 Oct 2018, 11:25

My confirmation email to the Mod edit: removed upon the request of the author. was somehow missed but luckily I made a follow-up and was told I should be hearing back about the offer letter and administrative proceedings (relocating to Mod edit: removed upon the request of the author. ) soon. That was on Friday so I'm expecting to be contacted today on Monday. My question is: how long do they typically reply back with an offer letter? I wasn't really worried in the beginning (as I'm used to the long wait) until I realised that maybe I shouldn't have jumped for joy yet until I got the actual offer letter and signed the contract. This is completely new to me so forgive my ignorance.

Another question is can I change/negotiate the starting date once they contact me? According to them, I'm allowed no more than 3 months from the offer letter to move. After a very hectic week moving things around and completing the last of my work, I realised that I didn't give myself enough time and so would like to alter my dates from what I wrote initially. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Starbuck

Re: Offer Letter

Post by Starbuck » 02 Oct 2018, 12:40

Hello mdr! I got my offer from the IAEA, so I dont't know how helpful is my info. I said yes to a tentative start date and then managed to change it two weeks ahead. I was excited, but after the initial shock I realized that I need more time. I wrote to them, got the approval from the hireing department and then they officially changed the date in the offer. It took a week.
Does anybody knows what happens after accepting the offer? I accepted mine last week, but onboarding process is not initiated yet.

mdr

Post by mdr » 03 Oct 2018, 01:22

Hi Starbuck! Thanks for responding! How long did it take for your offer to arrive? I just saw for H.O.P, it took over a week. Mine has just passed the 1-week mark and it could just be business-as-usual for the FAO.. Haha why are we in a whole other waiting game now?

And I did the same- I gave a much earlier date out of excitement. Yesterday, I couldn't help myself and emailed Secretariat about changing my availability but more importantly to kinda push them to move the process along (by asking a few questions)? Shared Service Center (SSC) who is supposed to contact me is its own unit separate from the Secretariat so I know it's not the latter's 'fault' but I wish somebody could get back to me with a more transparent overview on what to expect next e.g. timeline. Where are you moving to btw? I also just figured out that MAYBE my onboarding process needs a little extra budget and they're currently in talks with Finance because I have to fly out to the nearest consulate for the visa so a flight ticket is required.. Just throwing it out there as I'm desperately positive.

Starbuck

Post by Starbuck » 03 Oct 2018, 09:45

My e-offer came a day after the call, than after one week the date was changed and than I accepted the offer. I'm moving to Vienna, but I don't need a visa. Still no news. Could be that the person in charge of my onboarding is on a vacation. Sebastian, could you share what normally happens once someone accepts the offer?

mdr

Post by mdr » 03 Oct 2018, 12:43

Wow! That's pretty quick! What I was expecting tbh. Without the visa, yours should be even quicker, I reckon! I just hope it wasn't a technical glitch like mine. I even installed an email tracker just in case! Yeah, I think detailed info on the on-boarding process would be very much useful. Can't find anything online! I started reaching out to some friends who are in the UN about their experience- I've been advised to not be embarrassed about constantly following-up to understanding that the on-boarding process to relocate to another country may take longer for certain cases/nationalities.

mdr

Post by mdr » 08 Oct 2018, 14:53

Update: I finally got my offer letter! Sort of. It's more like a pre-offer? And the first email was the pre-pre-offer? Haha. That's how I'm looking at it anyway. I feel really silly now worrying myself sick like that but to be fair, the mystery of the missed email remains.. Anyway, so this offer I got on Friday was via their Taleo (different from their iRecruitment system) where I had to click 'accept' so that within this week or so, I will then receive the official one. The SSC staff has been very responsive to me so far and I expect the on-boarding process to happen within the next 2 weeks or so. That's being optimistic of course but I don't mind the wait now especially since things look like they're moving. Like H.O.P, the offer letter came after over a week.

Anja

Post by Anja » 11 Oct 2018, 05:12

Congrats!