Does an MBA qualify as "advanced university degree"?

Everything about application processes, test, interviews, offers etc. Also share your success stories in this forum!
atmonarman

Does an MBA qualify as "advanced university degree"?

Post by atmonarman » 02 Oct 2018, 11:37

Congratulations and thank you, Sebastian Rottmair for these posts. I have been applying for UN positions for 9 months now, with nobody to answer my questions, and I found very relevant info in your blog.

I have applied to nearly 100 positions since January (some 50 are still active), and got short-listed at only three UN Agencies. The curious is that most applications were for UN, and I have not been shortlisted ever at any UN position. I usually apply from P3 to P5 positions. I got short-listed at one P3, one P4 and one D1, at different UN Agencies, but in all cases I believe my Master's degree in Engineering was what made me go in, and not my MBA.

I wonder if the reason for not having been short-listed at the UN is a different way of considering what at an "advanced university degree" is. The posts that I applied required for an advanced university degree in Business Management. They also accept "A first level university degree [in those subjects] in combination with additional years of experience".

I hold an Executive Master of Business Administration by an official University, of a bit more than a year duration. The diploma states for 60 credits (600 hours). Can it be considered an advanced university degree? Could it be considered "a first level university degree". Just by way of information, I also hold a Master's Degree in Telecommunications Engineering, but often education requirements do not include that degree in the list of accepted studies, but only those about Management.

Thank you very much in advance.

Sebastian

Re: Does an MBA qualify as "advanced university degree"?

Post by Sebastian » 06 Oct 2018, 15:30

atmonarman wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 11:37
Congratulations and thank you, Sebastian Rottmair for these posts. I have been applying for UN positions for 9 months now, with nobody to answer my questions, and I found very relevant info in your blog.

I have applied to nearly 100 positions since January (some 50 are still active), and got short-listed at only three UN Agencies. The curious is that most applications were for UN, and I have not been shortlisted ever at any UN position. I usually apply from P3 to P5 positions. I got short-listed at one P3, one P4 and one D1, at different UN Agencies, but in all cases I believe my Master's degree in Engineering was what made me go in, and not my MBA.

I wonder if the reason for not having been short-listed at the UN is a different way of considering what at an "advanced university degree" is. The posts that I applied required for an advanced university degree in Business Management. They also accept "A first level university degree [in those subjects] in combination with additional years of experience".

I hold an Executive Master of Business Administration by an official University, of a bit more than a year duration. The diploma states for 60 credits (600 hours). Can it be considered an advanced university degree? Could it be considered "a first level university degree". Just by way of information, I also hold a Master's Degree in Telecommunications Engineering, but often education requirements do not include that degree in the list of accepted studies, but only those about Management.

Thank you very much in advance.
hi there,

I'm not actually sure about the requirements in this case - maybe others can chime in and tell their experience? But generally a Master's degree is a defined as a full-time Masters degree or equivalent. Is your university on the UNESCO list?
I'm Sebastian from the UN Job List. I know about the UN Job List and also a little about the UN in general.

NevKen

Post by NevKen » 06 Oct 2018, 17:34

Sebastian wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 15:30
atmonarman wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 11:37

I hold an Executive Master of Business Administration by an official University, of a bit more than a year duration. The diploma states for 60 credits (600 hours). Can it be considered an advanced university degree? Could it be considered "a first level university degree". Just by way of information, I also hold a Master's Degree in Telecommunications Engineering, but often education requirements do not include that degree in the list of accepted studies, but only those about Management. Thank you very much in advance.
hi there, I'm not actually sure about the requirements in this case - maybe others can chime in and tell their experience? But generally a Master's degree is a defined as a full-time Masters degree or equivalent. Is your university on the UNESCO list?
On Inspira home page (once logged in) there are resources available for candidates about University Degrees and the recognised institutes status as per the UN, scroll through that resource will eliminate any misinformation... (also check your diploma supplement)

In short:

Masters degrees can make a candidate eligible, where/when it's required. While candidates are shortlisted based on a detail assessment, one of the element hiring managers are required to check during their assessment is, if the applicant meet the academic requirements of the position based on: A - Relevance or similarity and depth. B - Breadth of qualifications (Are their academic credentials limited to a specialized field) and or (Are they multi-qualified and/or exposed to different fields of study)

atmonarman

Post by atmonarman » 17 Oct 2018, 09:20

Thank you both for your answers! Yes, of course my university is qualified at the UNESCO list. I will have a look to the inspira section you mention.